Hi Ive got a 54 plate Peugeot 307 which has got an oil leak. ?

Been told it's leaking from the head gasket and will cost around £600 to fix...does this seem about right?

1 year ago
    Favorite Answer

Oil can leak from a faulty head gasket as there are a number of oil ways from the crankcase to the head. These feed the valve gear. I had exactly the same issue on my diesel 306. Yes £600 is not far off right. But there is nothing to stop you phoning around for estimates. Try Halfords Auto Centre if there's one near you. I have found them to be surprisingly honest.

• JetDoc
    1 year ago

Find another mechanic to work on your car. This one is ripping you off.

• Bort
    1 year ago

When it was registered doesn't matter to my knowledge unless your area of Europe also has some kind of wackey law on oil changes depending upon when a vehicle was registered.

If the head gasket is leaking you will have either oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil, a pretty noticable loss of power, and (yes) an oil leak that's pretty easy to find where the leak is coming from. If you don't have those symptoms my guess is it's a valve cover gasket which is a much easier and cheaper fix.

• 1 year ago

Head gasket, I doubt it. Valve cover gasket very possible. A valve cover gasket should cost under $200 to repair.