W asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 5 days ago

Is this classified as cooking?

Basically my mate says that because I buy pack pasta and add water and then boil it it s not classified as cooking. His theory is that to be classified as cooking you must actually make the pasta fresh from scratch. I honestly don t know who s right cuz I do think he s got a point. But is just warming something up classified as cooking or do you actually need to do other stuff?

• 3 days ago

Your mate sounds like an idiot

• Jane
    3 days ago

Most pasta eaters use dried rather than fresh pasta for everyday meals, including Italians. Your mate sounds like a pretentious amateur cook. Other professional chef shortcuts include using frozen puff and filo pastry rather than trying to make from scratch. 

Your pasta dish will be all about the sauce, and how wonderful it tastes. One of my fave simple no-cook pasta sauces is to toss cooked pasta (spaghetti or tagliatelle works well) with finely chopped garlic and fresh chilli, olive oil and whizzed up walnuts- tastes lush!

Cook with love, share it with love and you will never go wrong, take no notice of inexperienced food snobs.

• 4 days ago

Ask your "mate" if frying an egg is actually cooking?

• 4 days ago

If you define cooking as taking food components and making them edible and appealing, then boiling pasta is cooking. Ask what your mate's definition of cooking might be. Given, there is a difference between creating a meal (from scratch) and putting together a meal from previously prepared ingredients, but cooking doesn't fit in that definition either.

• denise
    5 days ago

Well its basic, but its still cooking,  Your 'cooking' the pasta and checking when its ready, and probably 'cooking'  / heating up a sauce to have with it. 

• Clive
    5 days ago

As far as Italians are concerned, fresh pasta you make yourself and dried pasta you buy and need to boil for 10 minutes or so are different things.  If you then make a sauce to go with it from a number of ingredients, as I so often do, surely that is cooking.

Just warming something up in the microwave and doing nothing else to it I would agree is definitely not cooking.

Now what if I boil some linguine and when it's done, stir in some bought pesto?  Now we're getting near the dividing line - I didn't make the linguine or the pesto, but I DID put them together.

Who cares, anyway?

• John
    5 days ago

Take that farther and it becomes "only people who harvest their own vegetables and butcher their own meat are cooks". Cooking is preparing food to eat. Now move on. Do some cooks have greater skill than others? Obviously.

• 5 days ago

Your mate is probably confusing being a cook versus being a chef.  Most any of us can cook.  It takes much more innovation and skill to be chef, and usually requires years of culinary school.  You are a cook, even if you are a very basic one.  Even if you throw a bowl of frozen brussels sprouts into a microwave and succeed in not burning it, you are a cook.

• Ian
      1 day agoReport

True, chef is just the French word for "chief" or "boss". Everyone working in the kitchen is a cook

• 5 days ago

If your bill was less than $300 for 2 people and took less than 4 hours, everything was from cans, frozen bags, and half the stuff was grabbed in a rush from the local supermarket when the wholesale vendor didn't have any. Most of it rolled across the floor through dish water and the other onion that fell there and rotted 2 weeks ago while the stack of Coke cans was used as a seat.

Like I said, if you drop your lemon on your kitchen floor, that's the best thing that has happened to it in it's life on this earth. In short, almost nothing is made from scratch to order. Only your 90 year old granny does that and you don't like her cooking because you only know food as sugar and fat laden leftovers at big chain joints.

5 days ago

Pouring boiling water into a cup of noodles is not cooking.

Putting pasta in a pot and boiling it on the stove is cooking. 

• Dimo
      5 days agoReport

Pouring hot water in Cup Noodles is, by definition in any dictionary, is cooking.