Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 month ago

Reasons a child’s passport application might be denied?

I have sole legal and physical custody of my kids and would like to take them to the Caribbean this spring. I just found out that apparently even with me having sole custody, the application could be denied and I wouldn’t get the fees back. The rep would not explain what the reasons could be. 

Has anyone had this happen? What could cause the denial? I’m just wondering the likelihood that I’ll be throwing away hundreds of dollars. 

When I had custody, I still had to have a notarized letter from the father giving me permission. I know that the passport website has some alternative processes listed when both the child's parents can't appear together to apply for the passport. Did you follow those instructions? I can't imagine any other reason for a child to be denied a passport other than concerns that a parent is kidnapping the child. 

Assuming you are a US citizen trying to get passports for your US citizen children then you just need to submit the court order(s) with the applications.  See "Show Parental Consent":

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passpor...

Note you have to apply in person so the official should not accept the applications + payments unless all the documentation is correct.

• Mrsjvb

Tons of reasons.  Paperwork filled out wrong.  Incorrect picture submitted. Lack of supporting documentation regarding custody.  No notarized documents from the other parent granting permission for the kids to have a passport.