How did you sleep train your baby?

Did you go back in and check on/comfort them until they stopped crying? Or, did you just lay them down and let them cry it out until they fell asleep?

Also, if the baby woke up during the night wanting a bottle, did you oblige?

My daughter is eight months old, if that makes a difference. She's been co-sleeping with me and her daddy since around two and a half months (he worked out of town until she was six months, so in the beginning, it was mainly just me and her). But she fell out of the bed a couple nights ago (thankfully, she wasn't hurt, it just scared the bejeezus out of all three of us, lol), so we're looking at getting her in her own bed pronto.

• LizB
    Favorite Answer

I've never left my babies alone if they were truly screaming, but if it was more fuss-crying then I'd let them cry a little, go back in and check/sooth, wait a little longer, go back in and check/sooth again, etc etc until they fell asleep. Most of the time they were asleep before the second check. If they were still awake even after a 3rd or 4th check, that's when I started to think that something may be wrong and would try to figure out what it was.

I never co-slept for multiple reasons, but if you're wanting to crib-train, I recommend starting with whatever sleep period it's easiest to get baby down for. For us it was the first long stretch of night sleep, while daytime naps were the hardest and took the longest. For other babies, the exact opposite will be true. Basically you want to help encourage your baby to see that her crib is a safe and comfortable place, and create a strong positive association with her crib and sleep.

As for night feeds, it is 100% normal for an 8 month old to still need to eat at night. Many babies aren't yet reliably sleeping all night at this age, and if she's waking up for a bottle then she does actually need one. My kids both started STTN fairly reliably by 10.5-11 months, though some babies are still waking up for a feed even after a year. Night weaning doesn't need to be rushed or forced, she'll STTN when she is developmentally ready to do so.

u dont, they sleep all night when they are ready. u dont let them cry it out--crying is her way of telling u something..my gawd she is 8 months old stop acting like the world is gonna end if she doesnt do things to make ur life easier. and stop trying to rush her to grow up. Give that demon seed a bottle and comfort her!

I'd start with baby steps if she has never slept in a crib. Set up a crib next to your bed. That way, you can comfort her or coo at her and she can sense you.  When that's going well, move the crib to her on room or wherever you plan for her to sleep for the next couple of years. 

Start a bedtime routine (probably what you're already doing) except that you add in putting her down in her crib.  Consider turning on some music.  If she cries for more than 5 minutes, go to her.  Try to calm her without taking her out of the crib and don't make a big production number out of it.  If you do, she'll learn what to do to get out of bed.

Focus first on going to sleep and staying down at the beginning of the night.  Then work on the middle of the night.  At this point, you should be weaning her of any feeding during the night.  Same routine as if she cries at 8 PM -- let her cry for a few minutes.  If she doesn't settle or escalates -- check in and be calm and soothing but try to keep the whole thing low key and quick.  She needs to learn that she's okay.

Feel free to talk to your pediatrician too.  

• sarah

I absolutely love my pediatrician...but she would choke me to death if she knew I was co-sleeping, so I've been trying to avoid bringing it up, lol.

Does she nap in her crib?

• sarah

Point is, you should have kept your legs shut, because I'm sure all nine of your kids are just as horrible as you are.