Can door hinges be used for other purposes?

• 1 day ago

I've seen people make homemade "dueling tree" targets using door hinges and pieces of scrap metal (similar to the photo below).

2 days ago

Yes they can, you can use them to attach table tops, fitted in opposing pairs.

• 2 days ago

I use a few for decorations. I also have a nice stainless steel hinge I use as a paperweight and another one I use as a door stop.

• ron h
    3 days ago

I used a couple for a trap door in a closet floor to access a crawl space used for storage.   You could use them to connect a lid to s storage box in the carage or back of a pickup. Hinges connect something that should move (a door or gate) to something that does not move, like a wall.

• Nuff Sed
      2 days agoReport

So, you're saying another use for door hinges is on different types of doors.  Thanks for the tip.

• 3 days ago

sure. some passthroughs [like in a bar counter] are hinged. door hinges might work fine there.

• Feed bins in my barn have door hinges on their lids

• 3 days ago

They're great fun at parties. You can run around flapping them in everyone's faces, shouting "Hey! Look at me! I've got a door hinge and you don't! HINGES!!!".

• elhigh
    3 days ago

Of course.  Typical household interior door hinges are pretty sturdy if you want to include the capacity for movement in a project.  Their big downside is that their hinge pins are large and prominent, so if the appearance of such is something you want to avoid then you may do better to look elsewhere.

If you need something even stronger but still without the agricultural appearance of galvanized barn hinges, look at exterior door hinges, and commercial door hinges.  These can have very nice finishes and a clean, uncluttered appearance, and less slop in their action than the bigger gate and barn hinges.

• ioerr
    3 days ago

you can tie a piece of string to it and use it to flail unruly mice

so that's one thing

• 3 days ago

Yes......Such as using them to open it or for other cool stuff that's uncountable

• BS answer man, you bite the bigone