Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 5 days ago

Is it possible to raise hydroponic fish?

• 3 days ago

I did see this on T.V. the fish will fertilize the water used for the plants. I'm sure you can find something on the web to show you how. I have an aquarium and when I clean it once a week I pour the aquarium water in my flower beds, pots and lawn.

• 3 days ago

As was said, hydroponics is for plants. Big problem is a lot of people get into Aquaponics  as a way to live off grid, be independent  and be self sustaining. BUT I usually seen the same problems. Aquaponics is a delicate balance to have the water recycled between plants and fish. You may have to look up Automatic siphoning valves for the plant beds for proper operation. The one thing self sufficient seekers don't remember is you have a have a portion of your garden set aside to produce seeds. Seeds are cheap at the store, true enough, but I've seen set ups designed for off grid, self sufficient "survival" yet they will buy seeds from a store which might not be there in a "survival" situation. They will also feed their fish with commercial foods rather than design or use some kind of self sufficient method. Like duck weed or there are larvae, ants, etc that can create a settlement to provide natural fish food. Either way, its an undertaking but once its set up and going it will eventually balance out and you can then address ways of dealing with any imbalances

• 3 days ago

A fish is not a plant so hydroponics wil not work. 

The good news is that aquaponics is a great way to grow vegatables and keep the fish happy. You feed the fish. They poo in the pond and the water is pumped up into pipes or trays containing plants that thrive on the fertilizer in the water. The plants filter out the water and clean it, so the fish get clean water again, so everyone is happy. 

Tilapia fish are good for that because they grow quickly and you can eat them, along with the vegetables you grow in the water. 

• roger
    4 days ago
  • 4 days ago

Hydroponic is DEFINED as growing PLANTS in a solution of water and nutrients without soil. Therefore, fish can't be hydroponic in the literal sense, but MUST be hydroponic in the broader sense.

• 5 days ago

you can use fish poop to run as fertilizer for aquaponics. I don't know about hydroponics

• 5 days ago

Basically yes. See below

• 5 days ago

We call those "farmed fish" and "aquaculture."

• 5 days ago

It might be possible. A chance of it being possible is 50/50%