Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 1 month ago

Am I not guaranteed a job as a CNA at a hospital if I take a 2 week CNA class and get a certificate saying I passed ?

There’s a 2 week CNA class that’s 1k. I read somewhere that hospitals are picky on who they hire in as CNAs. I read that you might have to start off working at nursing homes for a few years before you can work at hospitals. I really really don’t want to start off at nursing homes because I worked at nursing homes before and my dream is to be a CNA at a hospital.. is it true that hospitals are more picky and that you have to start off at nursing homes? 

• Jason

You're looking at this from the wrong perspective. Consider this from a hospital's perspective. They get more applicants than there are positions available. They can be picky about who they choose to hire because -- just like you -- more CNAs want to work there than in nursing homes. So they get plenty of applicants. 

Who is your competition for those jobs? CNAs with experience. If they haven't worked in hospitals, where did they get that experience? Nursing homes. 

Your competition has ALSO completed training and is certified or they wouldn't be applying for the position. Plenty of CNA programs are longer than 2 weeks. Your competition ALSO has experience in the job. Some of your competition for those jobs are nursing students -- they have hours of lab and clinical behind them. 

If you're the hiring manager at the hospital who do you hire: The CNA with a certificate and no experience or the CNA with a certificate and 2-3 years of experience? 

Now that you have some idea of what hospitals and hiring managers are looking for and you have a better idea of what your competition looks like, where do you stack up? Do you feel like you're a competitive applicant for the position? By all means, apply. You can't get a job that you don't apply for. But manage your expectations. You are still early in a career and there is competition for your "dream" job. If you want to compete, you need to be competitive. That's likely going to mean doing some hard work that you don't want to do to get to where you want to be. 

Best wishes. 

Source(s): Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT) Working on my masters in nursing

No one is guaranteed a job anywhere.

No one is ever guaranteed a job.  You need to speak to someone in the HR department at a couple of hospitals and ask them if they hire CNAs with that certification from that program or not.  Don't assume and don't guess.  Do the research and figure it out.

Generally speaking, hospitals are going to hire people with more education and certifications from well-regarded programs because hospitals generally have more CNA applicants than they have open positions.  That might or might not be the case at the hospitals in your area.

• Scott

No, you aren't guaranteed a job. I've had people with a certificate from a technical school apply for technical positions when I was a manager. Not all of them were hired. Some were virtually unemployable.

• Judy

Probably true that hospitals are more picky. But you are NOT guaranteed a job ANYWHERE just because you passed a course and got a certificate.