Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationBoard Games · 2 months ago

My nephews want to play Dungeons and Dragons, how do I convince them they'll probably die if they try it?

I'm worried about their safety, after hearing stories ranging from a player attempting to murder the DM for his character not being the "star," a DM having to put a restraining order on a player who got booted from a group because he was upsetting the other players, and even a player who was threatened/harassed by a DM for accidental misgendering! Safety not being GUARANTEED isn't worth the risk for "fun," is it?

D&D is a very fun game but you want probably play with people you know first or know that aren't unstable and play with beginners i have heard people cry over D&D if they lose a valuable item but not kill someone

Dont be so sure that nothing bad can happen. I was playing with my buddy. He had dozed off and I was playing on when this evil goblin dwarf jumped out of the board at me and tried to take my head off with an axe. He swung at me, missed, spat and cursed in disgust, took a **** on the living room floor, and then disappeared back into the game. When my mom came home I got into trouble for the feces on the floor. My buddy didnt back up my story having been asleep so my mom didnt believe that the goblin thing had done it and I was grounded for a week. I swore never to play the game again after that!   Keep away from it.

No one dies from playing DnD. The story you're hearing has, like, a one-in-a-billion chance of happening. DnD rage can happen, but usually nobody murders each other.

The chances of your nephews dying from sitting down at a D&D game are way lower than sitting down in a car.

Unless you mean their characters. Yes, they can die. Your nephews will get over that.

The better question is not how do you convince them they will probably die, but why do you believe that? If it's just the anecdotal stories you mention, even if they're true, it's no more frequent than the crazy and dangerous people anywhere else doing anything else.I've heard stories of kids being murdered by their parents, but I don't go telling my nephews they'll probably die if they don't run away from home.

Source(s): Played D&D on and off since the late 70s, haven't had to take out a restraining order yet.

I played way back when it all started in the 70's- used to play every week- now just occasionally- I am still here.

Have you check on how many football or other sports players get hurt or die?

• D1 month agoReport

At least football players and other sports athletes go in knowing the risks, I would hope. Most kids don't go into D&D realizing they might run into an unbalanced, socially-maladjusted nutcase who considers stabbing or punching someone they disagree with to be an acceptable action.

How old are your nephews? If old enough to make kids of their own then simply tell them that they'll become nerds and therefore stay virgins all life. If they are younger then tell them that they'd become gay.

That should do it!

• Max3 weeks agoReport

don't talk like that again i will fireball you and there is many girls playing D&D so they could be able to find someone to frick

Try it with them and show them a safe play environment. It’s a fun way to bond with anyone. 

• drip

You are, to say the least, over reacting.  These are not your kids, thankfully.   Let their parents handle it.

• Yavan

I hate to break it to you, but if you wait for him to find an activity where you'll never meet any crazy people, you're going to be forbidding him from doing anything, ever.

Yes, some D&D players are a few cents short of a dollar. So are some golfers, car mechanics, computer programmers, etc... You get the point.

• D2 months agoReport

I wouldn't say ANYTHING. Single-player computer/console games don't require interacting with other people, so if anon's nephews don't need socialization to go for a game, that's an option. My nephews/nieces are happy enough with split-screen Minecraft, no whining when they can't chat with strangers.