How real or legitimate is the Craigslist "gigs" talent section?

Oftentimes , I will see ads posted on Craigslist within my locality. I will inquire about more information regarding the job. I will even sometimes go as far as providing my personal information and photographs of myself.

Never do I get a response.

Three days later , the author/publisher posts the same advertisement.

Are these ads , people who are soliciting photos of people without being serious about offering modeling work?

I know for a fact that I am not UNATTRACTIVE. As I am often approached in daily social aspects and asked out for dates  or solicited for sexual encounters .

Infact I have modeled nude in the past . So what's the deal with these Craigslist ads ?

• Mark
    Favorite Answer

Yes, there are plenty of scams in the Gigs section:  porn shoots, cam girls, creepy guy w/ camera, pic collectors.

Never send anything to an unidentified source.  If they are "real" they would have a website/IG portfolio.  And you'll find most gigs offered are non-paying.

As for modeling, unless you are in NYC or LA it isn't likely to be legit.  If not one of the above, they'll offer you "lessons" and "professional photos" at your expense.  Don't fall for it. Or worse yes, they'll ask for "favors" or offer "jobs" to "entertain" their clients.

Want to become a model?  Contact the legit agencies in NYC (Ford, Elite, etc.) and ask when their open auditions are.  Go there and go to the open audition.  They will tell you right away if you have the right "look".  If not, enjoy your trip to NYC, take in some sights.

Never spend $ on lessons or photos.  The legit agencies pay their photogs to take photos.

• Cogito

I wouldn't trust a single thing on Craigslist!

If you're talking about acting auditions, that's not how it works.

Real acting auditions are found through good, genuine agents - not on cheap websites.  And they're interested in talent - not looks or the willingness to strip off.

If you're talking about modelling, you'd need to have a really impressive portfolio, professionally made, be tall and thin, have a unique, interesting face and you'd need to research good agencies.  Again, Craigslist isn't going to get you anything but maybe a few porn jobs.  It would be foolish to the point of stupidity to send photos to anyone through that website and extremely dangerous to meet anyone that way!

The ones asking for gay sex are real, I can tell you from experience

Gigs are temporary assignments (mostly). I've gotten acting gigs through the forum, but getting hired is not under the applicant's control. If an employer has turned you down once, they'll probably continue to turn you down, for their own reasons. Look under other sections in order to increase your chances of finding work.