Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 days ago

why do some say that you should get your oil changed every 3,000 miles, but many say that is not necessary?

• 3 days ago
    Favorite Answer

Very few people would recommend you change your oil every 3,000 miles in 2020. Only people living in the past would. Modern oils and filters are far better than they use to be. Also the elimination of leaded gasoline has allowed for longer oil changes. With synthetic oil you can easily change your oil every 7,000 miles and be sure your engine is protected. Read and follow the scheduled maintence as outlined in your owner's manual. 

• 2 days ago

I use synthetic blend in all of my vehicles, and I change oil/filter every 5K.

If I had a vehicle with full synthetic, I would run it 10K - but I would still change the filter at the 5K mark, and top it off.

Most recommendations for 3K oil changes come from places that make their money by convincing people to change their oil more often.  You can't hurt anything by doing it that frequently - and it gives you a little wiggle room so if you hit 3K but can't get in for a change for a few weeks, but it's mostly just a waste of cash.

There are also some other factors to take into account - type of vehicle, type of driving, driving conditions, driving habits, etc.

3 days ago

That was when we used detergent oils. Today's synthetic oils & modern filters are better. None the less, check the oil every time you fuel up. When the oil turns dark, it's time to change it.

• noname2 days agoReport

BS. Modern synthetics are the Most detergent oils. In 'fifties and aircraft, No detergent. (aircraft cannot have bubbles in oil galleries in a bank or extremes pitch or roll.)t.  That's why  3 k oil changes in 1953. 

• 3 days ago

Because when you use regular motor oil that's how many miles you can go between oil and filter changes.

You also need to check the oil level on the dipstick every 1,000 miles and never let the oil level drop more then half way between the upper and lower dipstick marks.

When the oil gets black you've waited too long and the cam advance actuators and solenoids get gummed up and fail. The piston rings also will seize up in the grooves of the pistons which causes burning more oil.

After 40 years as a Master Mechanic I've seen more dumb people ruin their motors because they will do anything to avoid changing their oil on time.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 3 days ago

two questions How Much oil does your oil pan Hold and what does your Manual say

My VW Bora 2002 V5 says 15,000 klm or 10,000 miles

Never listen to your service agent or so called experts until you have checked the Manual

Here is a clue I own a 1964 220 Sb and the book says change oil every 10,000 miles and change the Filter and uses about 4.5 Ltrs

My VW holds 5 ltras of oil  My 1936 Brough Superior used to say every  3,000 miles and that was for 1930 oils todays oils 3000 is old fashion

I use GTX111 in my 1953 Aerial 350 cc motorcycle and My 220Sb mercedes Benz My BmwR 65 1986 model and My 2002 V2 Bora V5 and i have had the Ariel since 1970 it used to be castrol XL then Castrol GTX and Now GTX 111

My next oil is Castrol Edge when it is on special from 78 dollars to 35 dollars and a 10 dollar Oil filter

• 3 days ago

Yes, it's an old habit that dies hard. People say it because they heard someone say it, who heard their father say it, who heard his father say it and so on. It may have been necessary once, decades ago, but engines, oils and filters have come a long way since then.  Just go by what the makers recommend for your car.

• 3 days ago

Old beliefs die hard.

The engineers who designed my car say to use synthetic oil, and change it every 10,000 miles, and they warranty the car running gear. She's passed 100K and running like new. Never been in a repair shop yet.

• River Euphrates
      2 days agoReport

I've known several people who will run synthetic 10K - but they will change the filter at the 5K mark.

• Dimo
    4 days ago

Who are your going to trust -- the Manufacturer's Manual, or "some say?"

• Erik
    4 days ago

It has to do with the advancement of technology in oil, filters, and the cars themselves.

• Anon
      2 days agoReport

No one said a Bug Did.I Had One, Dammit. Stay Focused. The query is, and YOU did not address, that modern oils, filters  make for longer servicing; Not  engine tech, that does not enter into it. . When cornered, I note a lot here Ad Hominem.

• Brian
    4 days ago

Owner's. Manual..........