If I use a coupon, or there's a special on a meal at a restaurant, should I tip on the original price or the discounted price?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

You always tip on the regular price before discounts. Generous people tip on the full price plus tax total.

Wait staff work hard and don't get paid at all well. Tip well Be kind.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

origanal.. if ur into being generous to the cook

• 3 weeks ago

Tip on the  original  cost ALWAYS! Most tipped employees do not earn paychecks. In my neck of the woods restaurants only pay $2.13/hour. Then we are required to report our tips, which the IRS taxes you for, which is taken out of your check. It's very common to receive checks with zero value. And consistently recieving a paycheck at that rate is a sign something is very wrong, and your probably not feeding your family. Even worse, if you earn good tips, not only will you not receive a paycheck, but also the IRS will track the leftover taxes that your hourly wage didnt cover. When most of us get tax returns at the beginning of the year, servers often have to pay in to avoid audits and penalties. As a general rule of thumb, your server did the same amount of work and provided you with the same service you would have recieved at full cost. Why shouldn't they be compensated the same? You benefit from a cheaper meal, the business benefits by using your coupon to hook new customers, and the server often takes a loss. Tip your server adequately please. 

• ...Show all comments
    • F
      Lv 6
      2 weeks agoReport

That's why the whole tipping system is wrong. WHy should the customer who has already paid a decent amount, have to subsidise the wages of the staff, so the owners can get away with paying disgustingly low  wages?

• 4 weeks ago

You tip on the total you have to pay at the cash register.

• rebecca3 weeks agoReport

Did you also receive discount service? Then maybe sure I could agree. If not, tip your server! They still did the work!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

I tip on the full price.

• Always tip on the original amount.

• Bob
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can do it either way,I would  tip based on the original price.

Tip based on the service you recieved! That's what tips are about! If you would have left five dollars, then your server earned that five dollars! Otherwise give them your coupon right away. If I'm only gonna be paid half, it's only fair you get half the service. 

• Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It really doesn't matter, since it's usually such a small amount.  For example, if you saved $10, and you were going to tip 20%, that's $2.  The waiter isn't going to care one way or the other.  If the service was good, tip more.

Still disagree. Some tipped employees rely on every dollar. Bartenders for example usually get a dollar per drink. All cash stacks! Tip based on service, you were dead on with that. 

• 1 month ago

Tip at the original price.

• Nancy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

That all depends on if you're a pedantic diсk or not, like maybe if there's a discount that lowers the price to less than $10 and you have as $10-off coupon, when the bill comes back that the restaurant actually owes you money, you can say to the waiter, "Looks like you owe ME a tip, hammerhead."

• ...Show all comments

She is angry! She has every right to be! We dont come to your job and cut your pay rate! Could you imagine how you would feel if you showed up to work and your boss was like, were running a special! Today you make 15% less to even the scales! 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.