My house heat ac blow cold air?

So my filter is so old it make heat blow cold air then I replace a new filter n I though it gonna work again but no it's not

9 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    21 hours ago

Call the service company, your heat may not be coming on because the flue flow is clogged or your thermostat is stuck or needs replacing, or the AC is over riding the heater. Best to let someone that knows something about this deal with it directly. There are some things that you should not do yourself, this is one of them!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Iva
    Lv 4
    2 days ago

CALL THE HANDMAN!!!

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    3 days ago

There are a couple of ways the filter wasn't the problem, and at least one that it was.

If you have a heat pump, your compressor isn't running, or else your heat pump's reversing valve is stuck, or its solenoid has failed.

It's possible the thermostat has failed but I have encountered the thermostat being the problem only a few times.  It is not likely to be the thermostat in my experience.

If you have a gas furnace, the filter may have been the problem, and poor air flow through the heat exchanger caused an overheat safety to open.  Some of those are resettable, some are not and just need to be replaced.  Replacing the air filter restored good air flow through the furnace, but you still need to find that safety and reset it or replace it.  If you can't figure out which one it is, you need to call in a tech.

So you know, calling in a tech to replace a safety is WAY more expensive than an entire year's worth of filters.  Don't neglect the filters again.

I think you need to call in a pro, regardless of what the problem is.

• y
    Lv 7
    3 days ago

Safety need to be reset/popped.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 days ago

it wasn't a problem with the filter. something else is wrong. you need to either find out what, or call for help

• 3 days ago

Not changing your air filter is bad, and cost more monthly because the unit has to work harder to get hot or cold air through the clogged filter. It can also burn out the motor, premature but that usually takes a year or two.  I am guessing if you did not change the air filter, you did not get the whole unit cleaned and checked out every year like you should.  There are parts that can go back every year. every 2 yrs, every three yrs. every 5 yrs.  The heating parts, the gas connections, the ignition part, that does a clicking noise which is an electric  pilot to start the burners.  The gas connections gas lines could be clogged, the ignition could be broken.  Fuses could have burned out. Anyone and a few more things could be the reason for no heat.  Not having a yearly check up and cleaning, not changing the filter every month, can cut the life of your heating/AC unit. If your unit is less then 10 yrs old, call a repair man.  A full check up replaces some used parts, and the part that is making the unit not heat might now cost $300-$500.  A heater/AC unit new costs $2500-$3500. depending how big and who makes it. But  if taken care of correctly, should last 15-20 years. And a service contract for $75-$100 a year.  It is usually insured for 5-7 yrs.  And minor costs for the next 3yrs.  12-15 yrs is rough time when a big repair may not be worth it, Less then $800 its worth it. Over $1000 not so much. Note: the clogged air filter for the Heater or the AC if you have separate units, can burn out the blower. You can find a used blower for $100. and a new one maybe $300-$500.  If you are over 10 yrs go with the used one. You can get it on eBay or craigslist. Hope this helps,

• Anonymous
    4 days ago

Call a heating technician. 

• Anonymous
    4 days ago

You need to call a repairman.

• 4 days ago

maybe you should hire someone to come fix it

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.