John Robert asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Please help me! I can’t deal with this anymore?

I have been with my girlfriend for two years, and we have had barely any issues. Two or three weeks ago she found a cat outside our home in the bushes meowing apparently. Since I’m a good boyfriend I allowed her to bring it inside so she could feed it milk and crap. I already don’t like cats to begin with, and these last weeks have confirmed that to me. This damn cat meows non stop like a baby whenever she leaves the room. It has gotten so bad to the point where she has to put the cat in what was our bed. The cat sucks and drools all over the blankets and tries to scratch me with both paws while doing it. I have since moved onto the couch because of it. My girlfriend thinks I’m being too harsh but this is taxing on my mental and physical health.

Please answer seriously. I know this may sound harsh, however I have anxiety and OCD.

• Ocimom
    Favorite Answer

Its a kitten.  A baby, and its confused and scared.  If you can't agree to keep the kitten, then please find a rescue group that will take the kitten and find it a good home.  Make it clear about what pets (if any) are acceptable.  If you can't compromise over this, then maybe its time to rethink your relationship.

• Chris

What a phuuucking diiickbag you are. 

• Layne

How very adorable.  If you cannot love that baby then you are jerks.

A lot of kittens drool (even occasionally as adults) if they were somehow separated from their mom too soon.  The sucking/drooling/clawing is something kittens or cats do to feel calm--they're going through the motions of nursing.  It's a bit like a human sucking it's thumb or rocking back and forth.

If you hate it, you can put the kitty on the floor when she does it, but it's very likely something she'll mostly or totally outgrow.  It's fairly normal for kittens, and indicates she feels safe with you.

In a few weeks or months, the cat will be less needy and more interested in exploring without your girlfriend.

In a few weeks, hopefully you might be able to reframe the situation in your mind.  You have a compassionate girlfriend--which probably seems annoying now, but I can't think of a more important characteristic in a girlfriend/boyfriend.  Her willingness to care about others (even animals) and patience through difficult times is a good sign she'll be reliable in helping you through the harder phases of your life.  So her kind heart might be something you can live with, even if it's annoying sometimes.   

It’s a fat little kitten katten!

Explain how you feel about the kitten.

There was no planning for this kitten so it is not inreasonable to object to it's abrupt introduction to the household.

It is up to you to negotiate boundaries (not on the bed? Not in the bedroom? Not in the house?)

You need to find a solution that works for bpth of you.

If you cannot negotiate a solution that you can both accept then your long term relationship is doomed and you may as well break up.

• PAMELA

So you have a choice, put up with it or dump the girlfriend.

That's a kitten not a cat. They like to play at night which is normal. Adorable kitty have some patience

I don't really know if this should be in the pets section--it sounds more like a problem with your girlfriend than the cat! (also don't let her feed the cat milk. Adult cats can't digest milk regularly and the milk will begin to ferment in their stomachs, causing an upset stomach --> diarrhea & throw up which I'm assuming you wouldn't be happy with!) I would just talk to your girlfriend about how you aren't happy with this decision she made, and communicate your feelings about the cat to her. She can always bring it to an animal shelter or advertise it to family/friends to give away.

• Eva

You're overreacting. The cat sucks on the blanket to comfort itself. Kittens often do it when they're weaned too young. It is accompanied by the kneading that you describe as "scratching". The cat means no harm. Face it, you've been adopted. The cat picked you to be it's new family.