Is this why English is one of the hardest languages to learn?

They say that English is one of the hardest languages to learn. I think the main reason is that the spelling is different from the pronunciation. The words in English are often spelled differently from how they are pronounced. And many words that are spelled the same way are not pronounced the same. Is that right?

• 4 days ago
    Favorite Answer

You're right. And so many words that are spelled the same have totally different meaning. Like a callous on your foot and a callous person. And words that sound the same have totally different meanings, like bear and bare.

• amya
    3 days ago

If you think the pronunciation of English words is different from the spelling, you should look at Gaelic spelling and pronunciation - you'd be totally baffled.

• SCATTY c
      1 day agoReport

She should look at Welsh too !

• 3 days ago

This is one of the difficulties with English.However English is not the only language with this problem.It is quite a problem with Spanish too.However English is pretty easy compared to some other languages.

3 days ago

That's one of many reasons.

Source(s): Fluency in three languages and varying levels of competency in several others.
  • 3 days ago

English is not one of the hardest languages to learn.

4 days ago

Personally I think English verbs present the most challenge for non-native speakers.  I hear them mix the tenses & voices all the time, such as "We are not having time", when they mean "We don't have time".  Or "What do you do?" when they mean "What are you doing?".   Then when you get into combining tense, voice & aspect to express something like "By then, the plane will have been being refueled for thirty minutes", it can get really complex.

• 4 days ago

That's just the spelling, which I admit is crazy.  The hardest thing about English is the lack of grammar rules.  There are soooo many things you can learn only from hanging out with native English-speakers.

• 4 days ago

The difficulty of a language depends mostly on the languages you already speak, English is much easier for a French-speaker to learn than it is for a Chinese-speaker, for instance. But you're right that English pronunciation is completely baffling and frustrating to a lot of learners.

"Though I coughed roughly and hiccoughed throughout the lecture, I still thought I could plough through the rest of it."