why am i being told launch an application when opening an attachment?

When you click on either a document or a picture or music and then you get a pop-up box asking you what application you want to use in order to open the file pick an application from the list you see in front of you and Check a little box at the bottom that says always use this application. for instance your computer has Windows Media player a music player and sometimes it has iTunes and sometimes it has VLC media player. If you click on a song it's going to pop open a box and say hey what program do you want me to use to play the song with? I've got five of them which one do you want me to use? so assign a program in the manner I told you and then click the little box at the bottom that says always use this program.

Usually happens when you don't have a default application set to open that type of file. For example PDF's will ask if you want to open up with whatever you have - usually it's through the PDF viewer. Or certain image files will not be able to open in the picture viewer and need special applications to open them (like photoshop images that can be altered).

• Sharon

If that is happening it is usually because of the file type it is. You may need an application in order to open it.