Yesterday I was in my car and when I got out I forgot and left my car lights on for 10 minutes.?

It is still running but I'm not sure how much damage has been done to the car battery. How can I tell if the battery is about to go out?

If for long time you run battery down why keep jumper cables in your car or battery jump charging cables in the car not home forget lighter car saves gas make sure your not on humanities mercy if you do have battery problems 

• zipper

Ten minutes did not hurt your battery, a 45 minute run with out any thing being used will recharge the whole system for you. My X-wife would leave her lights on for the whole day, I would have to jump start the car for her, by the time she got home an hour ride the battery was again fully charged.

You don't 'damage' a battery by leaving lights on.

As long as it started, and continues to start - it is fine.

If it starts to have problems, take it to Autozone and have them test it.

It's only really after an hour that the battery can be flat. 

• Dan B

No damage. The starter draws more power.

If your car is running the lights are being powered by the alternator. The battery is primarily for starting your car engine at which time the alternator takes over all power needs to operate the car.

• John

Just out of curiousity, why did your parents let you drive unescorted by a man? Or were you and he wasn't paying attention? Doesn't he know the answer to such a simple mechanical question?

The car battery is disconnected while the engine is running and the generorator operates the electrical components of the car.

You should see no disintegration in your car battery.

Remember too you might be under male dominance but no man shall man handle you without your fathers or another male elders permission.

Source(s): Source: the LAW!
    • noname1 month agoReport

Try operating modern car Without batt; voltage can rise to 18 volts and fry any SS electronics switched on. Symbiosis. 

If it starts you have a good battery and got lucky. Just drive it.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Unless your ca battery is nearly worn out, 10 minutes would do no damage, but you said "it is still running", so the only difference is your butt was not on the seat. Ask the car if it cares. It will say, "Hyuk hyuk hyuk. Don't be silly".

You did nothing to it unless it was already a very weak battery, in which case it would have needed a jump start.