What is the difference between tropical cyclones, hurricanes and typhoons? ?

I’ve heard about tropical cyclones, typhoons and hurricanes before, but I don’t know what is the difference between them. I only know the similarity is that they’re all part of the same weather phenomenon called 'Tropical storms'. But what is the biggest difference between hurricanes, typhoons and tropical cyclones? 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 🌪
    Lv 6
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

A hurricane, cyclone, and a typhoon are different names used in different parts of the world for the same tropical storm system.

A hurricane is the name given to a tropical storm system that occurs in the Atlantic Ocean and the Eastern Pacific Ocean.

A typhoon is a tropical storm system that occurs in the Western Pacific Ocean.

A cyclone is a tropical storm system that occurs in the northern Indian Ocean

• 🌪
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

I see TQ is still whining. That's what TQ? At least 8 to 10 years you've been whining on Y Answers? Get a life! LOL!

• Login to reply the answers
  • TQ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Hurricanes ... typhoons ... and cyclones are not tropical storm systems.  They are tropical cyclone systems.

Source(s): Hurricanes ... typhoons ... and cyclones are not tropical storm systems. They are tropical cyclone systems. More evidence Askers are incapable of evaluating answers.
  • MARK
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The only difference is their name. They are all the same natural phenomenon. They are simply different names (synonyms) used in different parts of the world.

• 1 month ago

The first big difference is where they are formed! Hurricanes occur in the Atlantic and Northeast Pacific Oceans (extending to Hawaii), Cyclones form over the Pacific and Indian Oceans, Typhoons form over the Northwest Pacific Oceans.

Hurricanes usually occur between June to November, Cyclones usually occur between November to April, and Typhoons can occur year round due to the wartmth of the NW Pacific Ocean.

Basically all 3 are set up the same way, its just the location they form and the time of year they form that make all 3 vastly different.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The only difference is in their locations. Hurricanes ate in the Atlantic and eastern Pacific oceans. Typhoons are in the western Pacific. Tropical cyclones are southern Pacific and Indian oceans.

• 1 month ago

They are the same but called different things depending on where they form. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.