snik
snik asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 6 days ago

We are Canadians, wintering in the warmer states. When we bake cookies down here, they always seem to be cakey, not crispy Suggestions?

• 4 days ago

Yes, go back to Canada, they will taste great.

• 5 days ago

that is often caused by over mixing.

• 5 days ago

What did you find out?  I was going to suggest a difference in your flour or raising agent, but it looks like you found out.  What was the problem?

• 5 days ago

Add flour gradually to stiffen the dough to help adapt to barometric pressure.

5 days ago

Canadian flour has a higher protein content than American but I would think that would make it less cakey not more? It's probably humidity or altitude. There are conversion charts for baking at different sea levels.

• 6 days ago

What "warmer" state? 

If you are at a high elevation there are adjustments that you need to make. 

The only other thing that might possibly make a difference is are you using a different butter? If the butter you usually use has a higher butter fat content that might be a reason for the difference. Or if you have switched to margarine from butter.  Margarine will yield a cakier cookie.,

A different sugar perhaps? If you usually use dark brown sugar and you are using a light brown. 

• 6 days ago

I don't think climate would make a difference since its going to be roughly the same temperature inside. Possibly elevation could make a difference though. I know with cooking beans elevation makes a difference. I would say you need to cook them longer or double check your recipe or possibly try a different recipe. 

6 days ago

You need to adjust for Altitude, (heat & time).

• snik
      6 days agoReport

never mind...i looked it up, thanks...shouldnt make a difference in my case.  Thanks