Rowan
Rowan asked in Cars & TransportationCar Audio · 1 month ago

Is it odd not to enjoy music in a car?

She loves to listen to her music but not while driving her car. She like to drives her car in silence. She bought a new car six months ago, her first car with a CD player, but she never used it. Is that normal? Or is it strange?

Normal.  Some people got to concentrate more.  I can take it or leave it. Put in an 8 track tape.

• Tawny1 month agoReport

I have rental car reimbursement in my insurance. My old car broke down but no with no accident. Can I claim the rental reimbursement while arranging to buy a new car?

No.

I was stuck on an  NPS radio station on my old car radio(dial cord fell off), it actually improved my concentration. So does classical, any lyrics can be distracting.

I do not believe in radios,  except  while parked,   on motorcycles.  Any distraction can be deadly,  on the road. 

• JetDoc

I find that playing music or the radio while driving is sometimes a distraction, and I frequently turn it off when I want to concentrate on traffic or when driving in bad weather.

Some people like to enjoy peace and quiet.

It doesn't matter whether it is normal or strange.

It's SAFER!

I prefer to drive without music most of the time.

• Driving a car "with or without music" is always dangerous. We need to be able to hear emergency vehicles and every person in the vehicle must be seat belted.

My 1959 Jaguar XK150 has a blanking plate where a radio would normally be. Radio is in a box with the other spares that came with the car.

Nope. I am like that. I like the sound of my V8.

It's not strange. I know a man who has been steadily improving his health through a program of detoxification. He said now that he's healthier and thus more able to be present in the moment, he no longer feels the need to distract himself with music while driving. Maybe the person you're talking about just wants to be fully present in the experience of driving.

I hope it's not odd because I'm the same way. Music is distracting and I do not want to be distracted from my primary job...driving that car.

Over time I've learned there are two kinds of people: multi-taskers and single-taskers. Multi-taskers can handle two or more tasks concurrently (like driving a car and listening to music) and do them well.

Single-taskers, like myself, cannot. We have to do one task at a time to do it well. If we are distracted from our main task, like by music, our performance in that main task wanes.

She is a single tasker. Leave her alone while driving.

• Lili

It may be somewhat unusual, but there's nothing "strange" or "abnormal" about it.  Some people don't want to be distracted while driving.

They may be smarter than others that way.