How can I decline working certain hours at work?

I'm a second year University student who shares a flat with 4 other people. I work as a waitress and have recently been put on early shifts, on both weekends generally starting at 6 or 7am every week- even though I didn't apply to work for the breakfast shift when I was interviewed. However, I've been put on a shift starting at 5am in 3 weeks time and feel as though this is too early as my flatmates stay up often past 1am- especially if they're on nights out being really loud. I can't get much sleep before my shift because of this, and was wondering if this was a valid reason to request starting later i.e. at 7am as I feel like if I agree to working at 5am they'll keep putting me on this shift? 

• Favorite Answer

You can ask.  They can say no, and maybe not schedule you at all if you tick them off.  On the other hand, go get a different job if you don't like this one.

Ya, I know that does suck.  I worked in the produce department at a grocery store.  I was scheduled for 5:30 one Saturday so I went out Friday night.  It never even occurred to me that anyone would work at 5:30 am.  About 6:00 am I got a phone call.  That was a rough shift.

On the flip side, getting your shift done before your friends even wake up is kinda nice too.  You have the whole day and you already worked.  Just don't go back to bed and sleep the day away.

You can ask...and keep asking.  

• Judy

sorry - buy earplugs, or look for another job.

yes you are correct you are too early in working 5am when all this you explained .. 2nd year uni student.

rather ask them can they give you less hours in day time .. or so. because you must be hard working person thats why.. breakfast needs alertness. n fresh mind people ..

you have to act like you are like everyone.. dumb n smart together at this work spot. :) :D.

they will let you off once a week. atleast. forgot to add sugar or forgot small stuff once a week. Lol. i am giving you bad ideeas...

you are at the bosses mercy.......easy to fire you

• Maxi

Nothing stops you asking however employers want people who can do the work when they need them, so be prepared for the employer to tell you no or the possibility that the employer will stop offering you any shifts ( as my guess is you are on a zero hour contract)

• Susie

Explain your situation to your boss. Either they can/will or can’t/won’t  change your schedule. But if you don’t speak up, they will believe that you are ok with it.