Is 23 too old to learn the flute?

My dream is to become a professional flutist but i'm 23 now is it too late or is it never too late.

Update:

I do play other instruments I started playing the piano at 5 and the guitar at 12-13.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You can start to learn about it too before you decide whether you are suitable.

Start to go to lessons first.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

If you have flute talent and motivation for practice you've got no worries.

• 1 month ago

It's not too old to learn the flute for recreational purposes but you may want to adjust your dream down to a more reasonable level. Good luck to you!

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Exactly!  And you are more succinct than me.  My TD must be for verbiage . . .

• 1 month ago

I have been a professional flutist and flute instructor in NY since 1973.  Multiple degrees, long list of credits, etc.  Your decision to study the flute is wonderful - but those is us who have careers started when we were kids, and were part of a long and intense education in music.  Competitions, honors groups, awards, conservatories- zillions of auditions.  Now iff you say you would like to play in a rock or jazz band, you might learn enough in 5-10 years to one day make a little $.  If you are considering a concert or symphony career - well, there are just over a half-dozen of full time orchestras and ballet  or opera companies in the US.    People compete insanely for those jobs, and only leave them to take a lateral or better position, nationally or internationally. Once settled, they will stay until their seventies - some longer.  And they usually scoop the premier teaching in that major city, too.  So professional playing covers a lot, and seldom is fulltime for most players.  Find a great teacher, and see where it leads.  But you must be realistic -. there are many ahead of you, and they have had excellent educations for decades. Good luck.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

103 is not too old to learn the flute. Or anything else for that matter!

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, not at all.   Start taking lessons and practice, practice, practice.

• 1 month ago

That would depend on you and your dedication.

• Hurry up about it

• Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It can be a great hobby for you.

• Mamianka
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

You are right.  Going pro is a lot harder than most people think.  I know where I rank in the Food Chain. Not those top orchestras!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.