Is 23 too old to learn the flute?

My dream is to become a professional flutist but i'm 23 now is it too late or is it never too late.

I do play other instruments I started playing the piano at 5 and the guitar at 12-13.

You can start to learn about it too before you decide whether you are suitable.

Start to go to lessons first.

If you have flute talent and motivation for practice you've got no worries.

It's not too old to learn the flute for recreational purposes but you may want to adjust your dream down to a more reasonable level. Good luck to you!

• Mamianka
      1 month agoReport

Exactly!  And you are more succinct than me.  My TD must be for verbiage . . .

I have been a professional flutist and flute instructor in NY since 1973.  Multiple degrees, long list of credits, etc.  Your decision to study the flute is wonderful - but those is us who have careers started when we were kids, and were part of a long and intense education in music.  Competitions, honors groups, awards, conservatories- zillions of auditions.  Now iff you say you would like to play in a rock or jazz band, you might learn enough in 5-10 years to one day make a little $.  If you are considering a concert or symphony career - well, there are just over a half-dozen of full time orchestras and ballet  or opera companies in the US.    People compete insanely for those jobs, and only leave them to take a lateral or better position, nationally or internationally. Once settled, they will stay until their seventies - some longer.  And they usually scoop the premier teaching in that major city, too.  So professional playing covers a lot, and seldom is fulltime for most players.  Find a great teacher, and see where it leads.  But you must be realistic -. there are many ahead of you, and they have had excellent educations for decades. Good luck.

103 is not too old to learn the flute. Or anything else for that matter!

No, not at all.   Start taking lessons and practice, practice, practice.

That would depend on you and your dedication.

• Hurry up about it

• Jim

It can be a great hobby for you.

• Mamianka
      1 month agoReport

You are right.  Going pro is a lot harder than most people think.  I know where I rank in the Food Chain. Not those top orchestras!