denver asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

Can you have PTSD from watching a car wreck?

I hate saying PTSD because I understand that is a severe disorder and I don’t want anyone who actually has PTSD to think I’m just throwing that term around like it’s nothing. But a couple of years ago while in the car with my dad I witnessed a car crash that killed a young girl my age, and ever since then I can’t quit thinking about her and what happened. She died on impact and I watched them get her out of the car. At the time I thought it didn’t bother me, but this has caused me to delay getting my divers license until I was 18 and I am absolutely terrified of driving, especially by myself. Every time I think about her or drive by the place it happenedI cry. Is it possible to have some sort of disorder from this? Is this even something I should be bothered by or am I just being dramatic?

I’ve never told anyone this before

Favorite Answer

You're definitely not crazy and it's very understandable that you'd feel that way after witnessing that, even years later. Many people feel anxious to drive even without an experience like that. Some form of therapy would most likely be a huge help. Practicing meditation before (not during) may help you drive may help to remain more calm when driving. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, thats horrible. BTW, that's def not just throwing the term PTSD around. You have a valid reason

• denver1 month agoReport

Thank you so much!

Yes, but you are not PTSD, it's a superficial thing, not a person. And your driver's license has nothing to do with the girl, but yourself.

First of all, I want to say I'm sorry that you witnessed something so tragic and mentally and emotionally scarring. Violent events like that can inflict PTSD, but it doesn't have to be violent, if it's severely traumatizing, then you can develop PTSD, hence the name Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Yes, you can develop PTSD from witnessing a fatal crash. Especially if you were very young when this happened. Seek professional help.

You could......

For this very reason, God tells us to guard our eyes and ears.  Letting horrible scenes into your life can be devastating.  Even watching horror movies can do lasting damage to your mind.  I experienced a bad fire in my life and the horror of the scene was bad.  I prayed and asked God to remove it from my mind and He eventually did just that.  When I think about it today, I no longer see the horror in it.  It is amazing what God can do for us.

If you're having these issues, then consider consulting a therapist for help.

You need to see a therapist who can help you with your obsession.  Why don't you let the therapist decide what you have?

• LAN

No.  You are just a weak minded fool who keeps posting the same idiocy on multip!e accounts.

• k w

well, if your fear got triggered to such a point, it can affect you, not sure how high.....