Going in holiday.. ?

Hi, going in holiday soon to the UK. Wondering do I need to take any proof of vaccinations over there? Or are the vaccinations as a child sufficient? Cheers :) 

• Clive
    Favorite Answer

Nobody ever asks for proof, except for yellow fever or meningitis, and the UK certainly doesn't ask for certificates of vaccination against those.  You're only likely to get yellow fever in Africa where they have the right kind of mosquitoes that carry it.  And meningitis tends to be a problem in some Arab countries  - I know it's a problem for Muslims going on hajj so Saudi Arabia requires a certificate for that.

The important thing is what does YOUR country advise for visiting the UK, and I should think the answer is "none".  The country is rabies-free (being an island, we can easily keep it out by heavy restrictions on importing animals, and that's what we do), and all the usual childhood vaccinations are for diseases that are extremely rare in the UK because we've pretty much all had our jabs.  Thinking of what else can be recommended for visiting other countries, the water is safe so you don't need hepatitis A or B or typhoid.

• PAMELA

You do not need any vaccinations to come to the UK.

The UK does not require proof of vaccinations for international travelers:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/traveler...

According to a Canadian government website, which I will trust because I'm Canadian, the UK has no requirements for travellers entering to show proof of vaccination. It does, however, recommend that a person have the common routine vaccinations like measles, chicken pox, polio, and some others. It also suggests visiting a travel health clinic or doctor six weeks before departure, presumably because they will know what you should have.

• Clive

Yep, that's the point - it's rare for a country to actually require proof of vaccination, but it's always wise to take note of what your own government's recommendations are.