Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 month ago

People shout at me for doing flexible stuff?

Okay, English is not my first language so let me explain it because my question probably makes no sense.

I am a very flexible girl and I do crazy stuff with my body and especially with my legs. I used to stretch when I was like 12 but only stretched for a year and got extremely flexible and now, eight years later I do stuff with my body that amaze people but also makes them "worried".

I've had friends tell me to stop because I'll have huge problems when I grow older and that I'll have back and hip pain for the rest of my life. Are they right? How will it cause me pain and problems since it only hurts a tiny bit when I'm doing them?

I'm not doing them in front of them to "show off" or whatever. I do them when I get bored and sometimes when I have friends over for hours, we get bored, they go on their phones and stuff and I do things or sit in weird positions while being on my phone for example.

You say you're not showing off your hyperflexibility, but it appears to me that's exactly what you're doing. Surely when you're bored moving your body into positions unattainable for most people is not the only option that exists.

If you don't like people's reactions, then don't do it in front of them.

All problems should be so easy to solve.

Some people are naturally more flexible than others.  Some people are really strong but not very flexible and some people are the opposite.  If you are wise you will work on your weaknesses instead of just flaunting your strengths.  Health is about balance not taking any one thing to extremes.  

Or in other words people who have great strength but low flexibility need to put more work into stretching to achieve good health.  People who are very flexible but not very strong should work on their strength.  Exercise should always be more about working on your weaknesses than your strengths.

• mintchips49
      1 month agoReport

Megalomaniac you obviously know little about this. You should stop before you embarrass yourself any more. I’m someone born with hyperextended knees.  Please google “ballet dancers with hyperextended knees”

They are not doctors and are going by "old wives tales"  Being STIFF is what gives you pains.  You are keeping your muscles flexible  Won't hurt anything.  You will lose the ability to do the same stuff after awhile as you grow older.

• mintchips49
      1 month agoReport

Not old wives tales. Ask any retired professional ballet dancer. She is not just flexible but hypermobile by her description of  what she does with her body. Being flexible is good and on that you are correct. Pushing hypermobility can really screw up your joints. 

You are apparently one of those people born with hypermobile  joints. Which is just another way of saying you have very loose moveable joints. What you are doing if you have not done any strengthening of the surrounding muscle is stressing your joints even further. Especially so if you lean into your hyperextended joints by pushing it to the limits or beyond. This makes your joints more susceptible to injuries years down the road including arthritis which is very painful. People with hypermobile joints often require hip and knee replacements as they age. Especially  so if they aren’t careful how they use their body. The best way to counteract this is to not stress your joints and work on strengthening the surrounding muscles. 

Hard to say because you don't describe the things you do.  They may be right; maybe you should consult with a doctor.   But if you don't want to hear their advice they stop doing that stuff in front of them.