Steven
Steven asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 week ago

Can you mash chickpeas with a masher to make hummus ?

I wanna make hummus , I have all the ingredients in I just need a food processor to mix it all , I was thinking would it work if I just use a masher instead?

• 6 days ago

Itd make a more lumpy hummus but would still taste nice, mashed chickpeas on toast with salt, lemon juice, pepper and olive oil is the best breakfast ever!

• 6 days ago

In early Mediterranean cuisine, hummus was made with a mortar and pestle. You can still do it manually, but it won't be ready ion 20 minutes.

• denise
    7 days ago

Yes, but it would take longer to get a smooth texture.

• 7 days ago

I don't know that a masher would work, but it's worth a try. It might be lumpy but if you have the tahini, olive oil, lemon, garlic etc.,. then it will probably taste just fine.

7 days ago

You can, but you won't get that nice smooth whipped consistency.   

If you have a pastry cutter, you'll get a finer consistency than with a potato masher.    If you don't mind your hummus a bit on the thin side, add enough olive oil/water so that you can probably whip it with an egg beater if you have one.

You may want to peel the garbanzos before mashing.   It's the skin on the beans that the food processor does a really good job of. 

• 7 days ago

The smoother you get the mixture the more like the common prepared stuff you can buy in the store. 

Mash the chickpeas as fine or as coarse as you like. I happen to like a bit of texture in the hummus. 

Sort of like mashed potatoes, some like a very fine puree and some like a few lumps and others like bits and chunks of potato in the mash. 

• 1 week ago

It’s sufficient if it’s hummus you crave, though the courser outer shell (though tender) won’t be incorporated as well as if using a food processor to blend it.

• CB
    1 week ago

A potato ricer would be easier but a masher will work with enough elbow grease.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/255283/hummus-wi...

• 1 week ago

It would work better with a blender. A masher wont give you a smooth paste

• 1 week ago

Have you tried avocado hummus

• Steven
      1 week agoReport

No... I would try it but first I wanna know if it will work with a masher!