Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 3 months ago

question for vegetarians about McDonalds fries? 10 pts?

I am trying to be an ethical vegan so I dont buy any animal products at all. I was thinking to get McDonalds fries though since the products seems to be vegan but a friend of mine told me that if I buy McDonalds fries I would be supporting the cruel meat industry because McDonalds is cruel to animals...but I dont really get that. To me I always thought that buying meat from McDonalds would support the cruelty and not the fries.

so my question is...would I be supporting cruelty if I bought McDonalds fries?

Please be honest for best answer

Favorite Answer

At one time, McDonalds fried their potatoes in fat with a beef tallow component. This was not vegetarian, and they were sued by a man whose religion prohibited consumption of beef products. Since then, (several years ago) their fries have been animal product free. Not patronizing them because they serve animal products seems a little far out. Would your friend not eat a pizza because the company offered pepperoni as a topping, or not buy groceries in a store that offered meat?

• Daisy

Not true. Yes, they lost the lawsuit. But if you look at their website, McD's says very clearly that their fries are NOT veg. Why change a popular, successful food product to satisfy the very few vegetarians that come in their store? 

McDonlads doesn't do anything to animals other than use animal based foods. You think Mickey D's has a slaughter house out back of every restaurant??

NOPE.

• 3 months agoReport

You might literally be the smartest and most beautiful woman I have ever come across!!! AMAZING!!!!! 

I often eat McDonald fries, although most of the time I eat vegan foods only, because I don’t want to call my self vegan nor other people call me vegan.

I am a dedicated vegan who eats cheeseburgers from McDonald's from time to time. It's important to be balanced in life.

• Louis

Years ago there was a controversy about McD's using beef flavoring in their fries. Although I don't think they don't do that, McD's does not claim that their fries are vegetarian anymore. 

The other issue is complicated. On one side, McD's corporation is not something an ethical vegan would want to support. They are one of the largest consumers of chicken, beef, and eggs. And their guidelines do very little in the way of promoting humane treatment for livestock. 

However, if you take that line of reasoning to its conclusion, you would not want to shop for vegetables in a grocery store because they also buy a lot of meat, milk, and eggs. 

You will need to think about it and pick a place on the line that you feel comfortable. 

• A Yahoo User

I didn't know that they ever claimed that their fried were vegetarian. Your explanation makes much more sense than does Crusty's.

There was a lawsuit in India about not disclosing that beef products where part of the fry making process. Only in India are they vegan now.

• 3 months agoReport

Awesome article! Glad to know about Burger king fries!!! Thanks so much for the help with that!!!

• Rick

IF you go with THAT excuse, you'll starve !!!!

McDonald's uses a combination of vegetable oil and beef tallow to cook their fries.

Your friend is correct.

• 3 months agoReport

Oh darn! That sucks. I did not realize that! Thanks