Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 6 days ago

Should I buy a salvaged vehicle?

Seller says it was just a minor bumper damage.

• 23 hours ago

unless we have a very good idea of what  minor damage is? then steer clear .as you have asked question I  would suggest you  avoid oR involve a trusted mechanic or. proper engineer . ( costs) many salvage  vehicles are described a minor damage and this is a great area as to what may in fact be minor to a dealer / repair garage can be a major issue to man in street with little or no idea what is involved in repairs.  we can in fact get  bargain cars needing  little in way of new parts.  but unless we. can check  behind bumper ..see if panel damage  has occurred and if body alignment has been affected ? then it can get costly  putting right .

• 3 days ago

Bumper damage could be chassis damage too , avoid it completely 

• ron h
    3 days ago

Maybe.  You'll likely NEVER be able to get collision insurance on it.  If the airbags popped and were now replaced that will total an car that's 6 or 7 years old.  I'd go to a body shop and see if you can find out if airbags are OK or they've just been pulled out.  Age, make and model and condition are REALLY important. someone mentioned that if the title is TX it could be a flood car.  Look under the dash and carpet for anything that looks like it got wet. RUN from a flood car.  A salvage car might be OK, or might not.

• 4 days ago

Your money, your decision

• 5 days ago

BUYER BEWARE... SALVAGE TITLE MAY or MAY NOT BE LEGAL TO RESISTER and drive in your state.

ALSO YOU may have problems getting insurance on it. 

• 5 days ago

Have a mechanic look at it before you buy it. There could be internal things that you can't see. 

• 5 days ago

A sucker always comes along thinking they are getting a great deal

• 5 days ago

I have owned a few salvaged cars in my life time and the answer is "sure."

The insurance company doesn't just "salvage" it due to the severity of the accident or incident. It whether or not their evaluation of the car vs fixing it. I've bought a truck that was in an accident (attached picture).1996 toyota tacoma 155,000 miles. So the damage u see is cosmetics and the frame was not bent. I bought it for $1,300.I put a piece of wood behind the fender and pounded it as best i can (probably looks 30% better than picture.Still own this little gem of a truck today (10+ years with 255,000 miles).I have also bought salvage cars for my family.... it some salvaged cars you can see the frame was pulled straight.. and that's usually no bueno as the integrity of the frame has been compromised for the next accident.SO my answer? Just depends.. and go into with a flashlight + know how.

• 6 days ago

No way would a car ever be be salvaged and only have bumper damage. Don't be an idiot.

• ron h
      3 days agoReport

yeah, except that bumpers are no longer bumpers.  They're all one-miece plastic with some styrofoam and lights and sensors. If they get torn, some of them can be really expensive to fix.

• 6 days ago

No. You have no way of knowing if seller is telling the truth.