Hope asked in TravelCruise Travel · 3 months ago

Explain about the taxes ,fees and port expenses?

I won a Carnival Cruise for me and a guest our first cruise they said I am responsible for Taxes, Fees and port  expenses could somebody please explain these to me

• pmt853

Sounds like a big fat scam to me. A scam with warning bells and big flashing red lights.

They are legit fees when you book a cruise.  However, we have no idea if this is a scam or the real deal

You can do a dummy booking on the carnival site and it will tell you what the additional fees actually are on top of the actual cruise fare.  If they don't line up with what you are being told you need to pay - run away

Did you enter a contest?  If you didn't, it's a scam.  If it's one of those cards you fill out in a waiting room, everyone "wins"and it's a scam.  The only time you might actually win a cruise would be in a church drawing or a lottery or something.

Typically, the way the scams work is it's for a lowest tier inside cabin.  The taxes aren't those typically associated with booking a cruise, either are port fees as they are significantly inflated.  If you sign up, chances are you will wind up paying more for the "free" cruise than you would have wound up paying had you booked it outright. And as others have stated, read the fine print.  I suspect it has tiny words saying "not affiliated with Carnival Cruise Line". 

If whoever told you that you won a cruise wants you to give money then it is a scam. 

https://traveltips.usatoday.com/spot-freecruise-sc...

• Ar

Most likely a scam.  Nothing is for free. 

Sounds a rather useless prize to me.  If you won it from Carnival, ask them what the taxes, fees and port expenses will be, then make up your mind if you want the cruise at that price.  If you won it from a "free" scratch card, it's a scam.

• Bill-M

Who are They??   If you won a Cruise,  read the fine print.   When you go on board the ship you will have to give them your credit card for on board expenses and Tips.

Taxes, fees, and port expenses are covered in the initial price of the Cruise Ticket.

Who did you win the Cruise from??  It Could be a Scam if THEY are talking about those extra charges.