I am going to draw digitally and i am going to use a photo from the internet as a reference, I will be tracing the photo. Is that copyright?

I will post the artwork on my instagram. I will not sell it. Does it still infringe copyright?

It's infringement if you're tracing it.  Tracing isn't doing 'a reference'.  

Any time you use someone else's image without their permission, you are violating their copyright. Tracing it and then posting it on your instagram is copyright infringement. We can't stop you from tracing it, but if you do, don't share it.

• Tim D

You mean does it infringe the copyright and yes, in most circumstances, it will infringe copyright.

• Tim D
      1 month agoReport

Yes, there is no connection to profit or benefit required in order to infringe copyright.

If you change it enough you will not have a problem. Also if you are using it for yourself and not selling copies or making t-shirts from it, no problem at all. 

• Marc1 month agoReport

Hi, I'm not going to change anything. I will trace the photo, and I am not going to sell it, it's just for me and I will post it on my instagram page. Is that ok?