MacBook usb disabled as taking up too much power - but no usb connected?

My MacBook Air (4 years old) has had a message pop up saying that usb accessories are disabled due to taking too much power. This has been happening for a couple of weeks, and restarting the macbook has done nothing to help. Over this period I have connected no usbs, and when the message came up there wasn't one connected. How do I get rid of the message and enable usb devices again?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • David
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

With the laptop turned off, Initially physically inspect all of the USB ports for debris/bent pins that may be shorting out one of the ports. Clean any debris out, if no better or if the pins are bent or shorted you will need to take it to a workshop. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

i would take it to a computer store and have them fix it

• ...Show all comments
    • Daniel1 month agoReport

Well, at least Pearl said computer store and not dry cleaners or vetinary surgery, or something potentially embarrassing like that.. Certainly incisive. 

• Olive
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Could be a usb glitch or error. Try this solution found online and see if it fixes issue 1. Turn off pc and make sure it's plugged into power charger 2. Hold down the Shift Control Option key with left hand and the Power button with right hand(both at same time) for about 10 seconds then release Shift and Power. An Amber light on the charger should go green. This resets the system management controller which controls the USB and Fans etc

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.