Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 week ago

Was childhood better in the 1950s than it is today?

• 1 week ago
    Favorite Answer

I think children are more protected today. The kind of child abuse my sisters and I had to put up with was routine back then and scarce now.On the other hand we had less supervision, and I spent many hours on my bicycle exploring the neighborhood, or rowing in a rowboat I'd found at the river's edge. The economy was so much better back then - for 35 cents I could go to a Saturday matinee for a double feature. The candy and popcorn were cheap. Even with a lousy job, I had more than enough money to take a girl out for a date on a Saturday afternoon.In 1970 I was paying $35 per week for a three room apartment, including utilities. We couldn't afford a car, but we ate well and used public transportation.

One thing I hated in the 50s was the smoking. People smoked absolutely everywhere - it burned my throat and eyes, and I couldn't get away from it.

The TV was pretty awful, but I still like Rocky and Bullwinkle for its political humor.

Maybe someone who was a teem in the 50's can add to this.

• Peter6 days agoReport

Poverty Cannot Change For A Slave, Legal Fiction, Property Is At The Mercy Of The Company Rules.

• Bob
    4 days ago

I think it was if you were White and heterosexual

• Marli
    6 days ago

For some of us it was better.  I lived in the country.  We got a lot of fresh air.  Life seemed simpler; but then I was a little child. My world was centered around my family and watching "I Love Lucy", "Romper Room" and "The Friendly Giant" (I really should have paid more attention to "Chez Helene". I would have learned more than my "peu francais".) What did I know of complexities of life? 

I was beaten up by bullies in Grade I every evening on the way home from school. No fun at all.  We were told to "be careful" and "don't talk to strangers" because children had been kidnapped; but that usually happened "someplace else". We always walked to school.  There was racism. Almost all of us were white; so it was hard for the few minority kids.  But "racism" didn't have to mean race or colour. If you were Catholic, you were "different". If you were not "one of us" and had few friends, you were "different" and being "different" got you beaten up.

I know later that the cities had street gangs.  The big cities (Toronto, Hamilton, Niagara Falls) had big bad reputations for crime - the organized, vice and the shoot 'em up kinds.  But city kids didn't know how good they had it, I thought.  They had more kids their own age, public recreation like libraries and pools and programs in the summer. 

• 7 days ago

Even though I grew up in the 80's, all that I've heard about the 50's has been mostly great. My dad disciplined me a good amount while he was off. My mom was a gold digger up till I was about 25. My mom let me run wild while my dad loved discipline it confused me growing up. Still I was able to be the smartest kid in school for 4 years straight until I started having epilepsy at the age of 10. By that age I had won engineering,science and spelling bee contests for 4 years in a row. But daily seizures quickly erased my short term memory. I also ended up having PTSD from my 2 step dads physically, emotionally and verbally abusing me for having seizures and being the smartest kid in school. 

7 days ago

I'm old enough to remember the 50s and consider myself blessed w/ the yr. of my birth.

I grew up near a park. On Sat. it was full of unsupervised kids at play. That same park is usually empty on Sat. now and certainly no unsupervised kids.

• John
    1 week ago

I was born in 1961 just missed the 1950s by a couple years.

I can't say anything about the fifties but by the end of the sixties I'd learned to defend my self really well since I grew up in an area where people would crazily attack little children for no reason.

I even received a really bad head injury simply riding a bicycle down an empty road. This was when I was about four.

Just go on from there. Being lied to about about by townspeople school teachers and other children. Being harassed victimized ostrecised.

It was terrible growing up then obviously. And I wasn't the only one. Many suffered such as I manyl How we suffered!

Fact from what I have read the fifties was not that easy either in fact you probably have it reversed.

Modern cholildren have it soft and easy as compared to the past. Lots of everything never learning to cover your own back let alone others.

• 1 week ago

It depends.  We had no electronics, therefore; things were very simple.  Bad in a way because people were forbidden for saying anything bad about family even if one was molested because others would look down on the entire family.  

• John
      6 days agoReport

Woopdie doo. You keep business records and call business your country. Your a nut.

• 1 week ago

i think it was better back then

• 1 week ago

ABSOLUTELY!  It was safer and we played outside most of the time.  We were taught to respect others and be helpful - plus, NOT to sass back.

• 1 week ago

That depends. Certainly there were far fewer electronic toys for kids back then, but there was also a far greater likelihood that the parents would be doing well in terms of income, so that the children would not have to worry about privation.

After 40 years of GOP policies, that kind of privation for the 99% is BACK, baby !

• sydney19
      3 days agoReport

Playing in Bombed Buildings in London in the Fifties was better than being abused and Raped By Muslim Paadofiles remember the 1958 Race riots

1 week ago

Mine was much better than kid's childhood today.