do blu-ray players in general also play dvds?

i read on yahoo answers recently someone commenting that they are phasing out dvd players and dvds?  discontinuing them....and i am a person who's hobby is to watch dvds and rip them on my windows 7 desktop computer, which has a blu-ray drive and also a dvd drive...but the dvd drive is not working at the moment on my computer, so i can only use the blu-ray drive.

i would be depressed and crushed if they were going to discontinue dvd players and dvds as how else could i enjoy my hobby?

but also , to my main question, do blu-ray players also play dvds and rip them?

many thanks to all who answered.

Favorite Answer

Yes; blu-ray readers can read DVDs and CDs.

Blu-ray writers can also write those formats.

I have a blu-ray BD-RW compatible drive in my main machine, I often use it to write CDs and DVDs - and it reads/plays/rips all formats.

Yes I have a 7" reel to reel tape deck a double Record playback cassette deck a Turntable and a converter from Analogue to Digital so I can use my Blueray player recorder to record CD and DVD

All BD players and drives are required by licensing agreements

to also play both DVDs and CDs.

No "player" can either rip from or record on any disc.

As for drives in computers,

you need to look at the documentation for the specific one(s) you have.

I think it was Sony that had an early Blu-ray model that would not play DVDs, but I could be wrong. It would have been in or before 2006, though.

Yes you can play standard DVD's on a Blu ray player, but you can't play a Blu ray DVD on a standard DVD player

First, they are NOT going to discontinue DVDs or DVD players anytime soon. DVDs are far more popular than Blu-rays, as far as sales go, anyway.

Second, yes, most Blu-ray players will play DVDs as well. It's possible some budget model out there doesn't for some reason, but I don't know of any (the three cheapest players on Amazon support DVD playback as well).

Blu-ray players don't rip anything. You would need a Blu-Ray drive in a computer to do that. For the same reasons above, most Blu-ray drives should read DVDs just fine, but it's possible for a drive not to do so. 

Finally, there's no reason to expect the ability to read DVDs would disappear from drives in the future. Removing it would provide no technical benefit, and the price floor of DVD drives means it would provide no market segmentation benefit, either.

• Olive

Not sure bout if they rip them but they definitely can play regular dvds