Can I die if I drop my microwave into my bath water while I'm in it?

I'm just curious if I plug in my microwave and drop it into the bath with me if I will get shocked and die?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

    if you just perform the sequence you described, the GFI will kick in and prevent you from getting any major shock from the 120 volt line. Assuming you have a bathroom that was was built in the last 10-20 years and has GFI outlets.

    BUT if the microwave is turned on, or had been on recently, there are high voltage capacitors inside that can store a lethal amount of energy, and that could kill you, as the stored charge will still be present even if the GFI turns off the AC power.

    That is why you should never take a microwave apart, even if unplugged. 

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    I think you would die trying to jam yourself into the microwave oven, so you would be dead and unable to drop it into your bath anyway.

  • 1 month ago

    Nothing is certain about it. without getting into the tub go ahead and drop it in and see what happens. 

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Vaman
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If the equipment is not properly insulated, then you will get shock. Otherwise surrounding water will get heated. Nothing will happen to you as the intensity will very low to cook the skin.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bob
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Provided that the oven case is earthed (grounded), even without a GFI the water would short phase to earth and blow the circuit fuse or breaker. If the bath was plastic and your plumbing also plastic, then your chances of a leathal shock would be very low. As for the internal capacitor, part of the voltage doubling circuit on older microwaves, it would discharge between it's terminals, not to ground, no shock risk from this as it is enclosed in the metal case of the oven. As for others reading this, DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    What are you doing inside your microwave?

    • Login to reply the answers
  • KennyB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    Yes.  And it will be quite painful, even if your GFI circuits kick in in time.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.