How to increase water pressure from my well, that is far away from my house.?

We have a well at the front of our property. The well is also used by my father in laws house. His house is about 50 to 100 yards from the well and has great water pressure. Our house is about 500 yards from the well and our water pressure is not great.  We have 1 /1/2 inch pipe to deliver the water up to our house, but than our manufactured home has all 3/4 inch pipe. 

So my question is what can I do to increase our water pressure? Do I need to add a some sort of pump at our house,  a pressure tank, or what?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 days ago

you need a stronger pump

with higher output

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 days ago

Best way... PUT up a water tower about 10 ft higher then your house.. AT NIGHT Mostly use a pump to keep it full... THE WEIGHT of the water in the tank will be about equal to the water pressure you will get... EXAMPLE... Water weighs about 7 pounds a gal... thats 7 pounds on the bottom of a 1 inch pipe hense 7 PSi... IF yo have say 100 gallons on top of that you figure the pressure... THATS WHY SO MAY BIG CITIES etc. HAVE WATER TOWERS and LOOK at high building in NY,,, Most have a storage tower on top which is filled mostly at night.   IT takes more pressure to move 1 gallon of water then what the water weight is... SO IF you are going way high with a 1 inch pipe you have to have more pressure to pump the water there... 

DO NOT CONFUSE WATER FLOW (PIPE SIZE) WITH WATER PRESSURE... there is a big difference.. 

YOU can also add a pump after the tank to your house to add more pressure incoming to but you will need to make sure you have enough water FLOW on the backside to keep the tank full enough that you will not be sucking the line... ANY fireman who runs a pump truck and explain it to you.

• ...Show all comments
    • Edd S
      Lv 5
      23 hours agoReport

Then there is the danger of the water in the tank and the water in the line freezing..

• elhigh
    Lv 7
    6 days ago

What you need is a pressure tank. The pump can make good pressure but may not be able to do it and keep up with the flow from the fixtures. Plenty of flow, easy. Plenty of pressure, easy. Plenty of both, not easy.

To make your life easier, be sure you have good aerators on your faucets and shower heads. Two and a half gallons per minute is plenty for a good shower.  You can use less than half that for hand washing. 

But yeah, pressure tank. Pressure generated by the pump gets stored in the tank, close to where you are going to use it, and won't get constricted by a country mile of too-small pipe.

• 6 days ago

You should have 3/4" pipe that goes from the well to your house. The restrictor that turns tor 1.5" pipe into a 3/4" pipe doubles the water pressure where it's located. It sounds like you are doubling the low pressure water at your house. You need the restrictor at the well to push the water up to your house. It's a trick engineers use to make water flow uphill.

You can mess with a pump if you like but it will eventually break not to mention the ongoing cost of electricity and potential malfunctions.

Just make sure you keep your new pipe running up to your house buried below your frost line.

I live in Kansas and we generally put all water pipes around 3 feet deep so that we don't have our water "main" freeze up in the winter. 

Source(s): Tidbits of information from my college years and personal experience.
    • ...Show all comments
    • ron h
      Lv 7
      2 days agoReport

John is wrong.  Adding friction by decreasing the size of the supply line will NOT make more water come through..  It seems like it would make the same amount of water come throiugh faster, and it almost does.  Except the additional friction reduces the total about of water tha can come through.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 days ago

it is the friction from the 500 yards distance that is lowering your water pressure. the usual solution is a small pressure tank and pump in your house ... and, it has to be set up so that the pump turns off automatically if there is not enough water available to it ... which is usually handled with a larger non-pressurized tank and cutoff switch [detects low water level].

Source(s): my daughter and son in law up on the hill side [rural area] have exactly this ... their water comes from a natural spring and the flow rate is quite restricted
    • ...Show all comments
    • ron h
      Lv 7
      2 days agoReport

Wacky old sarge is wrong. A smaller pipe will NOT move more water if nothing else is changed.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    6 days ago

you need a pressure tank at you home. 

• 6 days ago

Alongside your house, you add a captive air tank system. One with a booster pump. The intake of the pump is connected to your 1-1/2 inch well pipe. The discharge of the pump is connected to your 3/4 inch house connection as well as the captive air tank. What the tank does is help to regulate the pressure and flow from the pump as water is used inside of the house. A 30 to 35 gallon tank will work just fine in your application.

• Anonymous
    6 days ago

Get a water tank, a float valve and a Grundfos 60 psi pump.  You will be smiling after installation.

• Anonymous
    6 days ago

You need another pump located closer to your yard which boosts the pressure it gets from the well.

• Brendan6 days agoReport

What type of pump though?

• Anonymous
    7 days ago

You need to add a booster pump to the supply line at the house.

• Brendan6 days agoReport

Where at though? Where it connects at the house or closer to the well?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.