? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingTeen & Preteen · 1 month ago

Were spankings really that painful?

My grandfather often claims that 'he used to be unable to sit for a month' when complaining about my generation lack of 'discipline'.

I find it a little hard to believe that spankings were that painful. I get that they'd leave you sore and that they were not nice, but they don't sound that bad.At least they were over and done with quickly, unlike groundings.

How painful were they? Were they really that bad, or is the whole 'being unable to sit' an exaggeration?

• edward
    Favorite Answer

Painful? Yes. Unable to sit? For a few minutes. Spending 13 hours sitting down on a plane is more painful

That is an exaggeration unless the child was abused and spanked so often that it never healed between spankings.  (bruises and welts can be painful and last for several days if the spanking was so hard that it caused actual damage to the skin - but that is not a "spanking" - that is abuse)

They hurt my feelings more than body, and I got my share, but I deserved them.  If I got one at school I got a second course at home.