thea asked in PetsRodents · 1 month ago

HELP! Is my hamster dead or hibernating?

I hadn’t heard from my hamster for a couple days so I go to check on her and her body is stiff and she doesn’t move when I pick her up does this mean she is dead or is she just in hibernation

• Ocimom
    3 days ago

Possible hibernation or close to it.  You can tell if its dead or not if you bring the hamster into a warmer room and see if it wakes up or not.

Hyberrnating.  

• odd

Your nose ought to be able to tell you if it's still alive. Or not.

Sounds like hibernation to me. You can usually tell because if they’re dead they bleed profusely from both the eyes and from the bum hole. Glad I could reassure you. 

• Nathan

Hamsters don't hibernate, in fact the closest they get to hibernating is going into something called torpor (from being too cold) which will kill them.

Regardless of whether or not your hamster is dead, p lease make sure you've done lots of research and have a suitable sized cage (pet shop ones generally don't meet the minimum requirement of 80x50cm and stores often use the excuse "we sell them for the babies" despite them selling adults most of the time".

she might be dead, take her to a vet

Hamsters can hibernate and people have mistaken their hibernating hamster as dead. Play sure hamster in a warm area not hot.78 degrees Fahrenheit and give the hamster a couple of days if it's hibernating it'll wake up if not you know it's dead

Pet hamsters can go into hibernation mode if they get too cold. This can last a few days or even a week. Don't assume your hamster is dead. While in hibernation mode if you stroke or try to move your hamster, they will show small signs of life. If not... R.I.P.

Is the hamster warm? can you feel a heartbeat? Can you see breathing?

if no, probably dead.

• Jolene

Your hamster is dead.