Ramiro asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

Is it a bad idea to buy a bird from the flea market and set it free all because i feel bad about it being locked up 🐦?

I saw a little white bird. It looked so sad. I told myself "Im going to buy you and set you free, just so you get to enjoy life, and fly for once in your life" 

But then i thought what if it doesnt make it in the wild, what if it gets eaten. I didnt care, i thought as long as its free for just a few moments it will all be worth it. 

But maybe im wrong, and this is the wrong choice. Your opinion?

What if the bird was from the wild to begin with? (even though it looks exotic and not from California)...In that case do you think its still worth setting it free?

• Teal
    Favorite Answer

If it's a non-native species, it will die. Even if it is a native species, being raised in captivity has made it weak and dulled its instincts. It has almost no chance of survival. The bird won't be happy to be free, it has no concept of what that means. It will be terrified, hungry, and miserable until the end. If you buy the bird, you are responsible for it. Either research its species and commit to providing it with a suitable habitat and care for the rest of its life. Or give it to a bird rescue along with a donation to help it find a good home.

It may have been wishing you had left it in its cage. What if it's food requirements weren't available in the wild? 

• oikoσ

That is the same thinking that gave us pest species like the house sparrow, European starling, and monk parakeet. Most of the people answering are worried that it will die. I worry that it might live and breed.

i dont see anything wrong with that

• Eva

The bird is used to the protection of the cage and having food brought to it on a regular basis. It has no idea how to get it's own food. It has no idea what predators are, so yes you set it free to starve to death or get killed. I doubt it thinks it would be worth it. It could have been allowed to fly around in someone's house and still have been protected.

• R K

yes, it will not survive.

Very bad idea. That bird was bred and has lived its whole life in captivity. It likely doesn't know how to survive on its own in the wild. Do not do that the poor thing will likely die fairly quickly.