Lilly
Lilly asked in PetsHorses · 2 months ago

How to get my confidence in riding back?

I’m 18 and I’ve ridden horses since I was 4 years old, but have always been a little on the timid side especially when it came to cantering. When i was older I eventually got a horse that was the perfect match for me and I overcame all of that, but she ended up being sold. Right after that I took a lesson on an ex-racehorse (that i definitely shouldn’t have ridden but the instructor insisted that he was fine) 

that took off on me, I fell and ended up with severe brain damage and many other issues. I have ridden a few times since then and have even started taking lessons again but now i’m afraid of cantering like I was before that all happened. I keep thinking that the horse is gonna start taking off on me and i just end up almost feeling like i’m gonna pass out. I know I can get over this somehow and will be cantering the next time I ride, but any tips?

*and before i get comments saying “you should’ve worn a helmet” like i’ve gotten many times in real life, I WAS wearing a helmet, probably not a great one, but still

• patty

wear a helmet. Just don't canter any more-who says u have to

Lilly, if you had severe brain damage from your accident, you wouldn't be able to write, nor would you be able to ride again. So right away, that pokes a hole in your story. I don't discount that you had a horse bolt on you and throw you, and it wrecked your confidence and trust in all horses to the point where you're scared to death of riding now. But please, don't exaggerate and over dramatize what happened.

What you need to do, first of all, is find a good instructor who specializes in working with and helping people who have had bad experiences. And then you need to have that person give you some longe line lessons, so that you can relearn how to canter safely without having to worry about the horse taking off on you. The lessons need to be on a calm, quiet, mature school horse. A horse that has been used for the sport of equestrian vaulting might be a good choice for you in this case, because horses that do this are trained to work on the longe line for long periods of time, and they have regular gaits which are easy to sit to.

Some sessions with a sports psychologist before you start lessons again might also be of benefit. That will allow you to voice your fears and feelings, and the psychologist may be able to teach you relaxation techniques that you can use when you ride. There are many of these- too many to list here- so you probably should look into this on your own.

• BOBBER

Start out with a dead broke horse preferably a gelding. Just walk and trot until you are comfortable than go from there. Take it one step at a time. You will feel so much satisfaction by completing that task, I wish you the best for a speedy recovery,