Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 1 month ago

COPD diagnosis?

Last month my grandmother was taken to the hospital because of the flu, whilst she was there the consultant also diagnosed her with COPD without doing any tests because ‘he knew what the results would be’, he just diagnosed her based off of her symptoms and the fact she smokes but she was also full of the flu at that time. He also did a chest X Ray. She had an appointment with our family  doctor today to talk about it and he said he doesn’t believe she has COPD, he looked at her chest X Ray and he said her lungs look clear. So I got the second opinion, but it’s different to the first and I’m not sure where to go from here?

• Edna

This sounds exactly like the way people are 'diagnosed' with COPD. They are 'diagnosed' with COPD, solely on their symptoms and the fact that they smoke, without any of the in-depth testing for COPD having been done and the fact that they may never exhibited any of the signs of COPD.  Your grandmother needs to get a second opinion and have her doctor run the in-depth tests that are necessary to diagnose COPD.

Some years ago, I was diagnosed with COPD, simply because I had a cough and I smoked.  I used Spiriva and all that stuff for years. Come to find out, I NEVER had COPD. I had (and still have) Non-Tuberculosis Mycobacterial (NTM) Lung Disease - a non-contagious lung infection whose symptoms are very similar to COPD. NTM lung infections are caused by mycobacteria that are found in the soil and water.  

Most people who are exposed to environmental NTM do not become sick & doctors don't know why only some people develop NTM lung disease. NTM lung infections are cured with a long course of 3 or 4 different antibiotics that you take every day for several months. It might take over 2 years to completely cure it.

Cases of NTM are on the increase, and it seems to be most prevalent in people who are at least 65 years of age.

• Edna
      3 weeks agoReport

COPD can be diagnosed with a x-ray. The effects of COPD in the lungs will show up on an x-ray - the same way that pneumonia in the lungs will show up on an x-ray.

"clear" has nothing to do with COPD. as that is a loss of alvelolar space. The lungs are still clear looking, in fact they are almost hyper inflated. A pulmonologist would be a help.

• Moonlight1 month agoReport

He just said he’s not convinced she has it though, he gave her an inhaler and it’s helped her so much so he said to leave it like that 

• Tavy

A CAT scan will give a clearer picture. But if she does have it then she will be told to give up smoking and use an inhaler.

Myself, I would not want to know. 

• Edna
      1 month agoReport

@Tavy  Yes, there is "something that can be done about it".  if someone has COPD, there are several medications that  will inhibit the progression of COPD. 

• kelvin

i would listen too the second diagnoses

• Jolene

Make an appointment with a pulmonologist (lung doctor).

• Moonlight1 month agoReport

He’s given her an inhaler to use for the week and then she has to go back, I think she’s going to ask for proper testing then. Because at the moment she’s only had an X Ray.

• Lili

Well, the GP should be discussing this with the consultant, obviously.  That's the first "place to go".  Another possibility would be to get a third opinion, but perhaps the GP should run some tests first, since none were originally done.  Ask for them.

• Edna
      3 weeks agoReport

The effects of COPD will show up on a x-ray; the x-ray won't look "clear".