Are poems hard to write for a beginner?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not if you have an imagination and knowledge about what you want to write about.

• Login to reply the answers
  • D1218
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

No. Not if they're smart enough.

• 1 month ago

It depends what sort of poetry you want to write. Modern free verse is just a pile of words on top of each other, requiring no special ability, in my opinion. 

Real poems, such as those written by Lord Byron, Tennyson and others were magnificent in their structure, with beautiful language organised into lines that rhymed, scanned and made sense. 

Start writing and see what you can come up with. Also read poetry books. Even some rap could be classified as poetry, as there is a real skill in composing lines that rhyme, nearly all the time. 

• Trisha
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

No, I learned how to write them in elementary school

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dv8s
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Poems are probably the easiest thing to write, they just seem to spill out onto the page, for me.   I would suggest for a beginner, to keep it short, and sweet.  Kind of like a nursery rhyme.  Jack be nimble, Jack be quick.  Jack jumped over the candlestick.  Keep some kind of rhythm, like a boxer jabbing, and build from there.

• 1 month ago

Yes. Not so hard if you write free verse. Traditional poems with structure is hard, because of all the devises that are used, like meter, rhyme, metaphor and just to find a theme to write about can be hard.

• Jimmy C
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

To, free verse is just a pile of words on top of each other, requiring no particualr ability.

• 1 month ago

Some have a natural flair for it, and it comes easily.

• 1 month ago

If you are not a poet by nature it is very hard.

• The Bishop of Sodor and Man

Wrote poetry that didn't scan.

He managed quite fine

Till he reached the last line

And then he found he had too many syllables and it didn't rhyme with anything.

• ioerr
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

well i sure as hell never figured out how to write any

i figure it's just one of those things you either have a talent for or you don't.  or something

then again, a lot of the stuff that passes for poetry these days... i don't think it is

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.