promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Low to medium budget processors for pc gaming?

any suggestions?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Depends on what your idea of "Budget" is.

There's always the Core i3-9100f which is decent for the most part. The only caveat with the modern i3 is it's limited to 4 cores/ 4 threads which is less than what modern games use. You can still play games with these and you will get decent framerates, but these will bottleneck an expensive Graphics card. 

You can get the Core i3-9100f for less than $100 if you look around and they're better picks than a Ryzen 3 CPU.The Ryzen 3 like the 3200g is a decent gaming CPU, but it's limited to 4 cores and 4 threads as well. They're a little bit weaker than a Core i3. The older Ryzen 3 processors like the 1200, 1300x, and 2200g are based off the 1st Generation Zen/Ryzen architecture while the 3200g is based off the 2nd Generation Zen architecture.

The Ryzen 5 series is probably the best pick. The older Ryzen 5 1600 is still a solid pick for a budget gaming CPU because it has 6 cores while being able to handle 12 threads, thanks to SMT. SMT is AMD's version of Hyperthreading. If you can afford the Ryzen 5 2600 then that would be a no brain pick because it has decent single threaded performance and it packs 6 cores with 12 threads which is more than enough for gaming. Sometimes if you're at the right place at the right time you can find something like the Ryzen 5 1500x for as low as $60. This is a 4c/8 CPU which is enough for modern games.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 months ago

For more budget-friendly processors, AMD's Ryzen series are generally recommended over the Intel Core-i series.  From a quick review on specs, a Ryzen 3 processor (being a quad-core processor w/o HyperThreading) will work, but a Ryzen 5 processor (quad-core OR hex-core w/ HyperThreading).

You'll want to dedicate more money towards a good graphics card as affects your gaming performance more than your processor.

If you're going for a micro-PC (or for an extreme budget system), you can consider going with a Ryzen 3 3200G OR Ryzen 5 3400G as they include an intergrated RX Vega 8 / 11 graphics processor (RX Vega 11 is equivalent to Nvidia GTX 860M & Vega 8 equivalent to GTX 670M)... which aren't the best for high-end games, but can handle some mid-range & older titles.

• 3 months ago

Look at the Ryzen 5 series - they are pretty powerful and good value.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.