Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthOptical · 1 month ago

my mother won't let me get contact lenses?

so right now I wear glasses, but I really want contact lenses. (i'm 15 years old)

today i asked her about getting them and she straight up just said no. i asked her why, and she said that your eyes will dry out and that i wasn't ready for them. she went on and on about how i spend a lot of time on my phone and computer, but i did not think that was a valid response. i told her how there are different types of lenses that are suitable for anyone. i told her that there are eye drops that keep your eye from drying out if that's the case. i also told her i had done a lot of research into taking care, and that also the eye doctor would explain to me the procedure. however, she ignored me and just said no and got really mad at me.

i told her contacts would be easy for me because i do sports. she ignored me and starts talking about me not reading books (?). cost is not an issue because i've offered to pay for it myself.

i've literally done everything to try make her understand but she just won't listen!

someone please help :(

• Rico

If she’s the one paying for them, then she does have the right to say no.  She is wrong about her reasoning though.  

At your next optical appointment, bring up the subject of contact lenses with the doctor yourself.  He (or she) would be better able to explain the pros and cons with your mother should she have reservations. You never know, she might just agree to you getting a trial pair to use for a month to see how you cope. 

If you are paying for them, get them and try them! I started wearing contacts right after I turned 16 and have been wearing them for over 30 years! I never wore glasses before I started wearing contacts and I never even bought a pair of glasses to have for backups till I was about 30. Contacts are great as long as you can put them in and take them out and if your eyes can tolerate them. Has your mom ever worn contacts? Many people get them at an early age like 11 or 12 so it shouldn't be an issue! Keep your glasses for back ups and to wear around the house. The only reason I got glasses when I did is because I had a problem with one of my eyes at the time where I shouldn't have been wearing contacts. Now I do wear mostly glasses because of my job and I wear bifocals because I am in my late 40s. But I still wear contacts outside of work and on the weekends usually. Your mom just clearly don't want you to have them and as long as your eyes can handle them , ignore her and get them! Contacts are a HUGE advantage in sports, especially if your glasses get broken! Apparently the thumb downers on this comment don't want you to have them but it is YOUR choice!

At your next eye exam, get your optometrist to talk to your mom about contacts. Her objections are probably not valid. The best way to convince her is to have an expert that she chose tell her.

I don't know your situation but it's also possible that money is the problem. Contacts are not all that expensive. The staff at your optometrist's office can explain just how much they cost. If you are on Medicaid, they will pay for glasses but not contacts in all the states that I am aware of. That could be the problem and your mom is trying to save her pride.

I’m not sure how and if you’re allowed to handle your own healthcare where you’re from. But i say if it’s your money and your eyes, it’s your decision. We’re not talking about a tattoo here. Contacts will improve your vision and are cosmetically more subtle, which i know is an important factor at your age. It’s quite possible that for your mother this has stopped being a ‘contacts’ issue and more an issue of authority. 

• ?

So whats your plan? People weigh in, and you show your mother their answers and say "see, strangers on the internet know better than you"? You've just gotta go with what your mother says until youre an adult, or you get a job and buy your own stuff.