Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 1 month ago

Is AncestryDNA and 23andme hair reports accurate for African Americans?

My AncestryDNA and 23andme hair report said I was likely to have wavy hair? Does most or all of African Americans that test with AncestryDNA and 23andme results are Straight to Wavy hair or Naturally Wavy Hair for Blacks?

• Zirp

There are no genetics for nationality or ethnicity. There just are people who have bundles of DNA identical to some of yours - which means you share some ancestry with them

There ARE alleles responsible for hairtype, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were identified.

Basically, you should expect them to be more "accurate" about hairtype than about ancestry

• Maxi

These tests are sold to entertain you and nothing more

• chorle

They seem to not be totally accurate and I believe they are more accurate for whites at least at the time I heard an NPR story on it because they have sampled more whites. 

I linked one of the stories I found in a web search about it but not the one I half remember from the radio