Picking a wedding date dilemma. Advice please!?

My fiance and I finally found our dream venue. However, the scheduling of the wedding is becoming crazy. I'm a teacher so I'm leaning towards the months of April, May, June, or July to get married that way we can take our honeymoon in July or August and I won't have to worry about requesting time off from work. (A Saturday could be affordable in January or Feb but I would feel guilty taking time off for the honeymoon)

Sat's are nearly double the price for April, May, June or July so they are currently out of our budget. Friday's and Sundays are reasonable. The church I am affiliated has a rather strict wedding schedule. Friday's weddings are only 4pm or 5pm. However, this poses a problem because our venue is approximately 40 minutes away and the curfew for the venue is 11pm. Therefore only a 4pm church would work and there wouldn't be much time before the reception for pictures. After asking many for input (which I probably shouldn't have) the more desired day seems to be Friday. However with needing the church to begin at 4pm and Friday traffic I'm not sure how many would be able to leave work early enough or take off to attend the church. 

Now for a Sunday wedding  many guests seemed to be very opposed to the idea. The earliest church on a Sunday is at 2pm so the earliest the reception could end would be 9pm. How do you feel about this? Would you try to save extra money for a Saturday? Or pick Friday or Sunday? 

• Foofa
    2 days ago

Pick a Saturday in July then leave straight after for the honeymoon.

• 6 days ago

I would go for the Saturday since most people can't be there at 4:00 on a Friday due to work.

• 6 days ago

You can get married during Christmas Vacation, Spring Vacation or All Summer Long without taking a day off from work. I don't really quite understand the Dilemma.

I think you're right, you should not ask what's most convenient for your guests because this is your wedding, not theirs. With enough notice people can take time off if they want to attend and accommodate your schedule.

• 7 days ago

Friday would be better (if Saturday's out of the question)

People have a weekend following Friday, so don't have to get home early, can choose to stay nearby etc if they want.

On Sunday, people will have school / work the next day, so will want or need to leave early.

1 week ago

I would not be thrilled about a Sunday.   Friday night would be hard with work.

Why not just book the Saturday in January or February and take your honeymoon in July or August?    It's just a vacation.    There is absolutely zero requirement that it be right after the wedding.

Make your guests happy.   Save money. 

You're making this more complicated than it is. 

1 week ago

I think either day is fine but you have to worry if your guests will make it on Friday.  If you can spare the expense I would go for Saturday afternoon.  It makes the most sense.

• drip
    1 week ago

Do you need to have the ceremony at the church? Most weddings I gone to the last four years have the ceremony and reception at the same venue.

Personally as a guest. A 40 minute drive to the reception venue is a bit of a stretch.  By the time you leave the church and get to the venue and get in you are talking about an hour before the cocktail hour starts.  In most cases I would skip the wedding and just go to the reception.  

Year of 2021?  Memorial Day is 31st and on a Monday. Check out if guests have that Monday or the previous Friday off of work. Monday off they may be more inclined to a Sunday wedding. 

My daughter had her wedding on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, many guests had Monday off.  We had ask several guests before the date was set and received overwhelming yes for that Sunday date, so she booked it.   Her  photographer  and DJ both gave her a discount for a Sunday wedding. As did the reception venue where she held the ceremony too.

• 1 week ago

I feel like its too much information, too much drama.... and why would you feel "guilty" taking time off work for a honeymoon? Guilt is for criminals, and i don't think you're a criminal.

Just enjoy your wedding and honeymoon. We can't make these decisions for you.

• 1 week ago

First, it was NOT a dumb idea to ask your guests about this.  They're the ones who matter, not us.  You can't hold them to anything, of course, but if they're opposed to Sundays, I think you have your answer. 

That said, I agree with others that you might be complicating this because of the honeymoon.  I'm another one who had to wait, because my husband was transferring and the wedding was already a destination one.   Our "real" honeymoon was about 8 months later.

Saturday has always been safest, which is why I'd go for a winter Saturday and just postpone the honeymoon.

• Kelly
    1 week ago

As a teacher do you get vacation time during the school year?  I work for a school district and our year round employees get vacation time but our 10.5 month employees who have summers off do not.  I'm a year round employee (I work in I.T.)

Our teachers do get a couple personal days for the school year and some who get married get married during the year and use those, then like you're planning do their honeymoon in the summer or just plan their wedding in the summer.

Are you able to get married during Spring break or Winter/Christmas break?

Myself, I'm not a fan of Sunday weddings..  I'm getting myself and my kids ready for the week and things like that but in a pinch I would attend one.

Friday wedding present it's own issues too.  It's usually cheaper but then your guests have to take time off work and things like that, even if it is in the evening.  I have weddings 3 weeks in a row this fall and 2 of them are on a Friday, both weddings the couple are local but their weddings are an hour away so I will have to take time off of work to attend and I have kids in school so I have to figure out something for them too.  My husband's work is harder for him to get time away so likely I'll attend without him (they're all family weddings so I'll know other people).  Even year round employees really don't get a lot of time off so really those that is time off work I'd really prefer to use for something else.

You may need to sacrifice your dream venue or consider having the ceremony elsewhere (even at the reception venue).  You may also just need to decide which venue is more important to you.  For me the church was so I got dates from them tentatively locked in a few and went venue shopping from there.

In the end, regardless of the date, day or time people who can and want to attend...will.