promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelGermanyOther - Germany · 3 months ago

Why are the Germans such a humourless people?

You think it's a stereotype, and then you see examples of how dull and humourless they can be.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Humour varies from country to country. When I moved to a German speaking country and started watching a lot of TV programs from Germany (I still do), I at first thought they didn't have much of a sense of humour, but then slowly I figured out that they do. It was just different than the one I was used to. Slowly, I also learned to appreciate some of it. They have some really funny ads.

Now, I'm Danish, so I generally like the Australian and British sense of humour, because it's not that dissimilar to what we have here. On the other hand, there are some styles of American humour that does nothing for me, but where I like others. And vice versa, many Americans don't get Nordic humour once it becomes pitch black, but find it rude and offensive.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Orla C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Actually, they're not. They're just reserved. I've met Germans who are very funny.

• 2 months ago

I think you'd find the southern Germans have a less humourless outlook.   It's a bit like Scottish people vs southern English in the UK (or used to be - we are all so mixed up now, it depends on the individual).   My step-mother, a German is very dour!!

• Verulam 1
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Sorry, that should be S.Germans have a MORE humorous outlook!!!

• W
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

Actually, the Germans have a very good sense of humour. It's just different from many parts of the English-speaking world. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.