Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelGermanyOther - Germany · 3 months ago

Why are the Germans such a humourless people?

You think it's a stereotype, and then you see examples of how dull and humourless they can be.

Favorite Answer

Humour varies from country to country. When I moved to a German speaking country and started watching a lot of TV programs from Germany (I still do), I at first thought they didn't have much of a sense of humour, but then slowly I figured out that they do. It was just different than the one I was used to. Slowly, I also learned to appreciate some of it. They have some really funny ads.

Now, I'm Danish, so I generally like the Australian and British sense of humour, because it's not that dissimilar to what we have here. On the other hand, there are some styles of American humour that does nothing for me, but where I like others. And vice versa, many Americans don't get Nordic humour once it becomes pitch black, but find it rude and offensive.

• Orla C

Actually, they're not. They're just reserved. I've met Germans who are very funny.

I think you'd find the southern Germans have a less humourless outlook.   It's a bit like Scottish people vs southern English in the UK (or used to be - we are all so mixed up now, it depends on the individual).   My step-mother, a German is very dour!!

• Verulam 1

Sorry, that should be S.Germans have a MORE humorous outlook!!!

• W

Actually, the Germans have a very good sense of humour. It's just different from many parts of the English-speaking world.