Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 2 months ago

I am single and wanting to adopt...?

Is that bad/selfish? I am only 21 years old, but when I am in my later 20's and have financial stability, I want to adopt a child. I am not really a dater, but I do want a child with or without marriage and there are plenty of babies I could provide a better home for rather than spending loads of money on a stranger's sperm that may or may not work, anyways. I would be open to adopting in the US from adoption agencies OR foster care, but I know that it is extremely hard and many people can and will change their mind last minute, after you have already given your hopes up. When I was younger, I wanted to adopt from a country around East Asia like China, Vietnam, Laos, Japan, etc. I especially wanted to adopt from South Korea, because I was adopted from South Korea; I have always thought that it would help me be able to relate to him/her more. There are also countries that are much worse off than in America, such as some that I have listed and others that are in Asia AND around all other continents of the world, where I could take someone out of a bad situation. But I hear so much negative talk about both adoption AND single parenting. So is it really that bad of a thing? Just because I am single and do not particularly need to share blood with my child, does that really make me undeserving of being a parent? I get that not all adoptive parents are great, but neither are all biological parents. Also, the alternative is that the child grows up in Foster Care. Is that better?

Children who are legally free for adoption but living in foster care have zero parents.

One parent is better than zero.

How would that be selfish?

Source(s): Adoptee and Adoptive Mom.

Tell lard brian...............