If you become a nurse out of school do you have to work 12 hour shifts at a hospital?

I'm 18 I've been accepted into a nursing program. My 1 concerned is working 12 hour shifts as a nurse as you have to first start out in a hospital. (I want to work at a pediatric clinic) so I can have a life outside of work and to be with family. 

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Jason
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

12-hour shifts are GREAT! Around here, you have to bid for a 12-hour slot. People FIGHT to get 12-hour shifts. You only work three days and have four days off, plus you typically get every third weekend instead of every other. You can work three shifts at the beginning of the pay period, three at the end, and have eight days off in a row without having to take a day of vacation. You have MORE time to spend with family and friends working 12's than you do 8's.

I don't understand where this idea comes from that nurses don't have time for a life outside of work. It's like any job. You work your hours and you go home. It's not like you're working 80 hours a week. They don't chain us to the wall at the end of a shift. We're normal people. What's the difference between 40 hours a week doing 8-hour days in a clinic and working 36 hours a week doing three 12's? Hours are hours. You have just as much time (or more) working a hospital schedule as you do a clinic schedule. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • :)
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Of course there’s going to be 12 hour shifts. You won’t be spared just because your new. Sure, you’ll have orientation, easier assignments, and possibly a preceptor. But you’re not going to get to work better hours. How else will you get used to it? Some hospital offer 5 eight hour shifts, but those are less common. You can look for hospitals/rehab facilities that operate this way.

Source(s): Senior BSN student.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Maybe, but it would only be 3 days a week, maybe with 4 hours on a 4th day.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Some hospitals offer 3 day 12 hour shifts as a benefit but rarely is anyone forced to work them if they don't want.  A lot of them like 4 days a week off.

Ive heard of 4x10 too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

You do have a life if you do 12 hour shifts, you still have days off. People become nurses because they want to sacrifice some things to do some good, that means working funny hours and getting mediocre pay, it's not something you'd do for yourself. People get sick any time so forget Christmas too, at least some years. Eventually after years of giving, you may move to the management side which will mean more for you and more sociable hours.

• 1 month ago

Most do where I live.. but it's normally only 3 days a week..

• 1 month ago

Most likely you'll have to work 12 hour shifts. Unless maybe you work in a nursing home of some sort.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, you do not have to. Just accept a different job with a different schedule.

• hamel5
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Just don't take a  job where they run 12 or 10 hr shifts .  Nurses sometimes take these because it may mean working only 3 or 4 days - reducing commuting time etc. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

No, of course not.

Nurses do all kinds of jobs, many of which are not in hospitals. 

I know a nurse that works for the public health department inspecting restaurants.   She makes 100k to stick thermometers in salad bars. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.