The future seems pointless because of the past?

I feel like because bad things happened in the past, there’s no point trying to fix the present or future.

Basically, because of abuses, atrocities, crimes in the past it makes me feel so gloomy, hopeless and stuck in the past the future seems useless.

It’s like because the past wrongs can’t be righted, there can be no future. It’s not that I don’t care about the future, it’s mostly that I can’t stop thinking about bad stuff that already happened. In a sense I also feel like if I stop brooding about the past, that means I don’t care.

I’m not talking about my own life as much as I’m talking about the world in general.

What triggered me to write this post was reading about animal abuses.

Can anyone else relate? What did you do?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 week ago
    Favorite Answer

The past is not something to agonize over, it is something to learn from. You don't right past wrongdoings, you learn from them in order to prevent them from happening again. If you stop brooding over the past, it doesn't mean that you no longer care, but that you've learned something from it.

Life is a constant learning process and there is no greater teacher than failure.

• 1 week ago

Something that has not happened!

It is the experience, without the experience

It is existence, without the codes

It is the past without memory.

It is the future, without hope.

Something that has not happened?

THE PRESENT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njl5-Q04epY

Youtube thumbnail

&list=PL-RhVxqyYSD1GUbG2ikZ6bStyn76Z86Oo&index=2&t=96s

• Login to reply the answers
  • Hey dude, everything changes.  I can't imagine not even trying because, the past is too ugly and fixed.  'Trying'  is a viable part of everyday life.  You can't make it better if you don't try.  :D

• 1 week ago

It's just a phase of being young, and not knowing much about the world.  Young people desperately need something to care about, but don't always know how to proceed.  It's more convenient to choose an issue that originates from the past, that you're helpless to change, just so you can say you "stand for something", without actually doing anything about it.  

Every generation goes through it, and there are always those who don't grow out of it.  When you're older, and have more experience in the world, things are like another planet from when you're younger.   Our cares and concerns change with our priorities.  Immaturity tells us that we will always think and see as we do when we're older, and is a way of remaining ignorant to the world.  

Plan to mature past your immature point of view, and you should come out okay.  Remain in childish thinking, and you will always play the role of "victim".  A child is vulnerable, always having to rely on someone else, and does not think for oneself and others very well.  When we change the way we see, the world changes along with it.  

"Seems", isn't, 'is'.  'Is', is all there 'ever is', or could 'possibly be'.  The "past" is gone, the "future" has yet to happen, and the "present" is always fleeting.  Finite time is made up of arbitrary points of selective observation, where "one point" always begets "another".  This is because the mind perceives the "sequential change" of material form as the linear passage of "beginning, middle and end".  

Finite time cannot be possible without the, 'timeless expression' of 'Forever and Always'.  The opportunity for change is 'Ever-Present'.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 week ago

The future is pointless because it doesn't exist, just like the past.

• j153e
    Lv 7
    1 week ago

Learning by the thoughts of Confucius:  to clean up the planet, clean up the nation; to clean up the nation, clean up the city; to clean up the city, clean up the neighborhood; to clean up the neighborhood, clean up the family; to clean up the family, clean up yourself.

This is the modern notion of subsidiarity:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidiarity  Confucius scaled problematics to the individual.

Billions of individuals, each about as strong, smart, and caring as you (albeit perhaps more caring for themselves, etc.) have energized both the good and the bad.  As less than 1/10 billionth of the energy, a realistic approach is Confucius':  do what one is able, rather than lamenting what one is unable to affect.

If millions are contemplating a silly war (and most war is silly), try to move; if millions are behaving badly, essentially polluting the minds and emotions of a people, come apart and be a separate and elect person/people; if cities are polluted, move to the country, and presumably work to keep the good wherever you are.  Mass movements and out-of-alignment leadership are not scalable to the individual.  If you are called by God to an office ruling for others, be wise and just.  Otherwise, your future is more or less in your hands.

Key points in any one's future:  income per sacred labor or vocation; loving relationship per family; health; spiritual devotion to divine Love, and so on.  Perhaps adopt an animal, care for it.

Related:

Try to learn what others have learned: 

The Kindness Challenge;

For Couples Only;

The Path of the Higher Self;

Man, Master of His Destiny;

Watch Your Dreams;

The Quarter-Life Breakthrough;

The Road Less Traveled;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_o...

Answers by Mother Meera; https://www.mothermeera.com

• Anonymous
    1 week ago

You're trying to do something that is literally impossible. And so that leaves you just spinning your wheels endlessly. You are going to have to find a philosophy that is realistic, for your own sake.

• 1 week ago

The past does not exist. The future does not exist. All you can do is learn from your memories of the past and change your present actions in hopes of a better future.

You have to remain in the moment and be mindful of your actions and what consequences they will yield.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.