Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 3 months ago

If I start ballet at 23, is there any way I go on pointe shoes?

With no previous dance experience, is this possible? If I work hard, can I strengthen my ankles and feet and go en pointe?

And if I do so, is there any possibility that it will not look bad and that I have a good looking arch?

(I've been dancing in my room since I was a baby and I've been told that I'm a "natural" lol)

Recreational ballet is for anyone of any age, shape and abilities. How good you get and whether or not you will ever get into pointe shoes will depend on the gifts you were born with and the quality and quantity of your training. Not everyone is physically capable of dancing in pointe shoes. It is harder the older you get. In order to be ready for pointe you not only need strong feet, ankles, legs and core but have the ability to engage and hold turnout all the while in proper alignment and without sickling your feet. Most important is strong ballet technique. You will need at least three standard 90 minute ballet classes a week for at least three years. Even if you were born with nothing stopping eventual pointe work, you will be hard pressed to find an adult beginner ballet class that is serious enough and offers three or more classes a week. Unless you live in NYC, Chicago, or Philly or other area where there is a strong ballet presence, the right classes may not be available. If you rush into pointe shoes before you are ready, you open yourself up for injury. Pointe work can also hurt a lot if you aren’t strong enough to lift up out of the shoe. 

There is no reason you cannot enjoy ballet classes as an adult. Why not get started but just put the thought of pointe shoes away for now as that is years down the road ....if it ever happens.

FYI: The fact you have been working on your own for years means it may take more time to unlearn the habits that you have already made. Within each method of ballet training there is only one right way to do things. Body alignment and engaging the right muscles in the right way is key. That is not anything anyone could have learned on their own. It takes both the eyes and hands on of a qualified ballet teacher. Even then it isn’t easy. Dancers need constant corrections to perfect their technique. 

Yes, you can. I know people who started in their early twenties and went on pointe and looked pretty good.

I think, however, that it mostly depends on your gifts and body. Not everyone can go on pointe. My cousin, for example, has been dancing since she was 6 and she isn't on pointe now at the age of 17 and she's most likely never gonna be.

Now, I don't know how much you'll be able to improve your arch and strengthen your ankles at this age but this depends on you again.