what type of glasses do i need for my computer?

ive had a desktop windows computer 15 years now, and lived as a shut in , using my computer a heck of a lot,  all that time, sat in front of a lcd computer monitor.....but its only in the last couple of months that ive started to get really bad eye ache/ hurting eyes by using my LCD monitor....i went to the optician over 6 months ago and got glasses with a tint, but they have made no difference, my eyes are still hurting.....i have turned the brightness down on my computer monitor but my eyes are still aching..

could it be the amount of time ive been spending sat in front of a computer screen which is causing this eye ache?

and what type of glasses should i request?  someone on yahoo a while back mentioned ''blue light blocking glasses''   is there such a thing as them  and are they all the glasses i need?....where can i get them?

or do i need another special type of glasses?  i would appreciate any help with this, thanks.

to add, i am in the uk.

I like those Solar Shield glasses when on my PC.

• David

think ergonomics first

1)  Monitor should be as far away from your eyes as possible

2)  TOP of monitor should be no higher than your eyes, when you are sitting in a comfortable position to use your computer.

2a)  It's actually a bit better if the TOP of your monitor is a little bit lower than your eyes.  Human eyes focus easier on things if the eyes are pointed slightly downward.

3)  Never use a computer in a room that is totally dark.  There should be a light on in the same room that your computer monitor is in use.  The room doesn't need to be brightly lit.  But there should be enough ambient light in the computer room for someone to walk around safely and find objects (cell phones, car keys, wallet) without turning on another light

Because of my job, I have spent way too much time using computers daily, mostly 7 days a week, for over three decades.  I am having some eye problems now due to a totally unrelated medical condition.  It's not the computer use that's bugging my eyes.  But I was properly setting up my own computer work station as soon as I started working with computers...

Ergonomics is mandatory, and a real life-saver

an eye doc could determine this...

You need to go to an optician again and describe the problems you are having. It may be that you need specific glasses for using the computer, it may be that you are simply staring too long at the screen without a break.  The optician will recommend what you need, self-prescribing rarely works.

For maximum viewing comfort, the lenses of your computer glasses should include anti-reflective coating. Sometimes called anti-glare treatment, anti-reflective (AR) coating eliminates reflections of light from the front and back surfaces of your lenses that can cause eye strain.

• keerok

The problem is not the monitor, the computer, the glasses or even your place. It's you. You spend too much time in front of the monitor and the computer. Do you even get enough sleep already?

please see a proper ophthalmologist and have a comprehensive eye exam done. It is easily possible that you need a different prescription for the approximately 24 inch distance of the monitor. It is also possible that you have cataracts forming, or another [more unusual] eye malady

Source(s): granddad -- I have a special pair of glasses just for the computer -- different prescription
  • Speed

There are blue light-blocking glasses, but not having them isn't likely to be the source of the problem. It's more likely related to your need to focus at a specific distance that's neither close nor far.

When I was spending hour after hour at a desktop, I bought task glasses intended to let me focus at a range of 30-45 inches from the screen. I literally had someone measure the distance when I was leaning in and leaning back. I used the frames of my old glasses, since I didn't care if I looked fashionable or anything, so the cost wasn't too bad.

It's also helpful to force yourself to rest your eyes every 20-30 minutes by getting up and walking away from the screen for 120 seconds, minimum. It doesn't matter what you do during that time so long as you're not focusing on something about the same distance from your eyes as the computer screen.

Another tip is to not use the computer solely in a darkened room. Let natural light in and tilt the monitor so you don't have reflections.